The Association of Booksellers for Children has released its schedule of programs for BookExpo America. Children’s booksellers and librarians will want to grab their calendars and make note of this full lineup of events. Just confirmed are the speakers at The ABC Not-a-Dinner and (Mostly) Silent Auction on Friday, May 29 at the New York Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge. Shannon Hale (Forest Born) will host the keynote program, after which Newbery Medalist Katherine Paterson (The Day of the Pelican) and Mike Lupica (Million Dollar Throw) will speak. This event will also include the first-ever live announcement of the E.B. White Awards winners.
Here’s what’s on for the rest of the weekend:
Thursday, May 28
• ABADay of Education: Give It Away to Get It Back: Using “Thought Leadership” Marketing to Build Your Children’s Business (10:45 a.m.-12:15 p.m.). Booksellers will learn how to leverage their experience in this challenging bookselling climate and use it as a marketing tool to build business exponentially.
• New Voices Luncheon (12:15-1:15 p.m.). Featured are moderator Kristen Cashore, who will talk about her experiences as a debut novelist (Graceling); galleys for her follow-up novel, Fire, will be available. Speakers are brother-and-sister authors Daniel and Dina Nayeri (Another Faust) and a yet-to-be announced author. Showcased will be this year’s ABC picks from new authors.
Friday, May 29
• Children’s Book and Author Breakfast (8:00-9:30 a.m.), presented in cooperation with BEA and the Children’s Booksellers and Publisher’s Committee (ABA/ABC/CBC). Click here for information on this year’s breakfast speakers.
• Tea with Children’s Authors (1:45-2:45 p.m.). This first-time event, open to booksellers and librarians only, will provide a chance to chat over “a cuppa” with 19 children’s book luminaries, among them Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson, Libba Bray, Christopher and Walter Dean Myers, Kate DiCamillo, Mary Downing Hahn, Jon Scieszka, Tomie dePaola and Mo Willems. Each author will join a table of attendees for conversation about his or her life and work.
Saturday, May 30
• Speed Dating with Children’s Authors (11:00 a.m.-12:30 p.m.), presented in cooperation with ABA/ABC/CBC. Open to booksellers and librarians only, this program offers an opportunity to get to know 23 children’s book creators, who will move from table to table for quick chats. Participating “dates” include Nick Bruel, Sharon Draper, Amy Hest, Gordon Korman, Linda Sue Park, Michael Rex, Matt de la Pena and Cinda Williams Chima.
Open throughout the show
• ABC’s “New Home” in the ABA Lounge. ABC members are invited to drop by to chat with other booksellers, peruse the latest ABC materials and browse the association’s new Web site. And, of course, take a breather from the hubbub of the floor.