|The Managing Editorial department of Dutton and Gotham Books is currently seeking a Senior Production Editor to oversee all aspects of the copyediting/proofreading process for all original hardcovers and trade paperbacks. |
The Senior Production Editor:
1. Reviews the copyediting and proofreading of all stages of manuscripts, text proofs, and blues.
2. Hires and assigns work to freelance copyeditors, proofreaders, and indexers; checks and evaluates their work.
3. Coordinates schedules with production.
4. Reviews all stages of jackets and covers from original copy through final proof.
5. Maintains title-by-title status reports.
6. Liaises regularly with various in-house departments including editorial, production and interior art.
7. Oversees the work of two department members.
Please apply if you meet the following requirements:
• At least 2 years' production editorial/managing editorial experience in book publishing
• Excellent organizational skills
• Excellent copyediting and proofreading skills; familiarity with the Chicago Manual of Style
• Detail and accuracy-oriented
• Ability to balance many projects in a fast-paced environment
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel; knowledge of electronic copyediting/coding of manuscripts
Dutton Books publishes commercial fiction including mystery, thrillers and women's fiction. The imprint specializes in publicity-driven nonfiction, with emphasis on science, spirituality, and pop-culture.
Gotham Books publishes commercial nonfiction that spans a broad range of categories including: memoirs, business, current affairs, sports, consumer reference, health and fitness, history, narrative nonfiction, pop culture, psychology, self-help, spirituality, travel narrative and books on language, words and punctuation.
Penguin Group (USA) Inc. is the U.S. member of the internationally renowned Penguin Group. Penguin Group (USA) is one of the leading U.S. adult and children's trade book publishers, owning a wide range of imprints and trademarks, including Viking, G. P. Putnam's Sons, The Penguin Press, Riverhead Books, Dutton, Penguin Books, Berkley Books, Gotham Books, Portfolio, New American Library, Plume, Tarcher, Philomel, Grosset & Dunlap, Puffin, and Frederick Warne, among others. The Penguin Group (http://www.penguin.com) is part of Pearson plc, the international media company.
Penguin Group (USA) values the array of talents and perspectives that a diverse workforce brings. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.