|COMPANY OVERVIEW |
Baker & Taylor is a leading distributor of books, videos, and music products to libraries, institutions and retailers. We are passionate about books and entertainment products. We have been in business for 181 years and have developed long-term relationships with major book publishers, movie studios and music labels. We have more than 44,000 customers in more than 120 countries.
Buyers are responsible for managing initial purchase commitments and working closely with Planners and Allocators on managing inventory assortment and strategy. They manage business relationships and use their industry knowledge to identify category trends and their judgment skills to determine our inventory commitments. As category experts, Buyers use their experience to drive our inventory assortment. The Children’s Buyer will manage $60mm+ in net purchases and maintain business relationships with assigned vendors.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (The following statements describe the general nature of work being performed in this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties. Additional responsibilities may be assigned by management):
• Achieve sales and inventory goals as outlined in the category plan
• Manage category open-to-buy and negotiate improved inventory mark-up for assigned categories.
• Work with vendors/suppliers to maximize sales and margin in subject areas
• Negotiate purchasing terms for assigned vendors and categories, including discount, payment terms, returnability, promotions, deals, and advertising dollars.
• In conjunction with Planners and Allocators, manage inventory strategy for assigned categories.
• Determine new book buy quantities for all titles within assigned categories at least three months in advance of publication date, basing decisions on knowledge of comparable products, the book industry and general marketing trends.
• Develop & implement merchandising programs across accounts in cooperation with Marketing and Sales for designated product lines to improve sales, margin, and sell through.
• Conduct annual business reviews with vendors.
• Maintain thorough knowledge of overall and seasonal book industry trends.
• Analyze data, anticipate issues, forecast results, lead decisions and plan accordingly to meet buying-related business results.
Identify, analyze and pursue trends that are in-line with the category plan and recommend and implement the course of action to take advantage of or to mitigate the trend.
• Define assortment, purchase, and maintain inventory and returns for assigned categories while ensuring the decisions are in-line with the category plan.
• A combination of experience and education equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree and five (5) years’ buying /merchandising experience.
• Extensive knowledge of book publishing and wholesaling and/or retailing is required.
• Proven ability to analyze data and information from many sources, to determine trends and opportunities and to address via development and implementation of an action plan
• Proven ability to conceptualize and implement innovative and creative buying solutions
• Proven fact-based decision making and calculated risk-taking
• Strong results orientation with a bias towards action
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Demonstrated flexibility and ability to manage change
• Proven negotiation and vendor management skills
• PC, MS Excel, MS Word, PowerPoint and AWR (E-3) skills.