|Summary: The primary job of the Art Director is to conceptualize key formats for trade lists and special markets and to prepare and complete formats by managing junior staff or outside freelancers, while designing own titles as well. |
Essential Functions: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies to perform the essential functions of this position:
• Developing, designing, or creating new applications, ideas, systems, or products, including artistic contributions. Must have the ability to clearly see design flaws and improve designs either through communication with designers and illustrators, or quickly make changes yourself.
• Analyzing information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
• Providing information to supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates with an eye to making the most creative product, while staying on schedule and under budget.
• Keeping up-to-date technically and applying new knowledge to your job, and ensuring staff does as well. Also keeping up-to-date with illustrators and brand styles as well.
• Participate in format development with senior staff with a key sense of creating formats with long term applications
• Writing specs or review specs of staff for assigned formats, providing Production with complete, detailed information.
• Establish schedules and budgets
• Finding art resources for brands and non-branded titles
• Work with editorial and design staff to develop content direction for formats
• Oversee or create the design of cover and content
• Hire designers or illustrators to complete work as needed
• Manage the non-paper component design of formats
• Traffic all phases of format creation through relevant channels
• Prepare all materials needed by sales department or outside customers
• Route materials through relevant reviewers
• Problem solve any issues regarding work as it occurs or anticipate and correct
• Study new brands and competitors product for a thorough knowledge of market needs.
• Develop a working knowledge of production to more economically develop formats.
• Bachelor Degree
• Minimum 8 - 10 years’ experience in publishing or associated field
• Working knowledge of all Adobe and other creative software as well as thorough knowledge of preparing and posting print files.
• Interpersonal skills – the individual maintains confidentiality, remains open to others’ ideas and exhibits willingness to try new things.
• Oral Communication – the individual speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations.
• Written Communication – the individual edits work for spelling and grammar, presents numerical data effectively and is able to read and interpret written information.
• Effective communicator with the ability to partner with the management team to influence positive continuous change in Reader Links’ supply chain and publishing programs.
• Must identify and resolve problems in a timely manner, gathers and analyzes information skillfully and maintains confidentiality.