|Univ. of South Carolina Press Director|
|University of South Carolina|
|University of South Carolina|
|The University of South Carolina Press invites applications for the position of Press Director. As chief executive officer, the Director reports to the University Provost; supervises a staff of fifteen publishing professionals; and is responsible for the editorial, fiscal, and marketing strategies of USC Press, South Carolina’s oldest and largest book publisher, specializing in scholarly humanities and regional trade publications. |
Established in 1944, the University of South Carolina Press has more than 1,700 published books to its credit, nearly 1,000 in print, and 55-60 new books published each year. The Press is essential in enhancing the scholarly reputation and worldwide visibility of the University of South Carolina, the state’s flagship research university. Centrally located in South Carolina’s capital city of Columbia, USC Press is a dynamic cultural institution publishing for diverse regional, national, and international audiences.
Candidates for the position of Press Director must have documented executive experience in publishing in keeping with the following key duties and responsibilities:
• Define, plan, and oversee the Press's mission and publishing program
• Develop and maintain Press-wide strategic goals, systems, policies, and procedures
• Collaborate with the Press’s senior management team on departmental goals, strategies, and budgets, as well as the development of seasonal lists, new series, entrepreneurial initiatives and technological innovations
• Pursue and initiate new publication projects in keeping with the Press’s mission
• Cultivate strategic partnerships with regional agencies and other entities for co-publishing and publication-based fundraising efforts
• Serve as a public representative of the Press at regional and national academic conferences, tradeshows, and bookfairs as well as with key contacts and events within the University community
• Hire and provide for the training of the Press’s senior management team
• Develop new positions and staff training opportunities in keeping with the current trends in scholarly and regional publishing
• Conduct staff and management team meetings and serves as an ex officio member of the Press’s editorial committee
• Promote high quality products and protect the favorable reputation of the Press.
Minimum qualifications are a master's degree and at least six years of appropriate experience, or a bachelor's degree and at least eight years of appropriate experience. This position requires demonstrated leadership in the fields of scholarly and regional book publishing with an emphasis on supervisory and program management; strategic planning; budgeting; evaluation of program effectiveness; extensive knowledge of scholarly book publishing and of the publishing industry at large; familiarity with trends in academic, regional, and electronic publishing; effective communication and interpersonal skills; ability to direct and motivate staff; and ability to cultivate working relationships with diverse audiences and constituencies including University administration, editorial committee members, authors, scholars, reviewers, community members, and colleagues.
Applications must include a statement of interest, CV, and the names and addresses of a minimum of three references. Please send applications to Steven Lynn, USC Press Director Search Committee, Office of the Provost, 102 Osborne Administration Building, University of South Carolina, Columbia, South Carolina 29208. Screening will begin on December 1, 2011, but applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
All final candidates will be subject to a pre-employment background investigation. The University of South Carolina is an equal opportunity employer and specifically invites and encourages applications from women and minorities.