|becker&mayer! is one of the largest book producers in the United States, producing both Juvenile and Adult books. We are the recognized leader in creating and manufacturing original juvenile products in the "book-plus" category, incorporating plastics, electronics, and other materials for truly unique results. Our clients include Disney, Scholastic Book Clubs, Scholastic Book Fairs, and Silver Dolphin. In addition, becker&mayer! publishes SmartLab and ArtLab, our own brand dedicated to innovative formats and hands-on learning in the areas of science, art, and education. Our adult titles span a wide array of non-fiction topics and are published under our clients' names, which include Chronicle Books, HarperCollins, Random House, and Simon & Schuster, among others. Many of these books are produced under license with companies or individuals such as David McCullough, Bob Dylan, Tupac Shakur, Arnold Palmer, Marvel, NASCAR, and Lucasfilm Ltd.|
The Sales Associate is responsible for supporting the Senior Sales Manager by researching and tracking market trends, presenting original ideas, managing the sale budget, tracking client sales, client communications, and coordinating logistics and production.
Key Responsibilities and Duties:
• Actively solicit new ideas from mutually agreed upon publishing partners that may lead to new proposals and shares such information with the Book Group.
• Assess ideas and prepare pitch to new and existing clients within North America including publishers, retailers and wholesalers.
• Actively solicit information on titles that are selling for publishing partners, industry trends, general consumer trends and the like (all of which may lead to ideas for new titles) and shares such information with the Book Group.
• Keep consistently aware of what is going on the industry -- what's hot and what's not and report to Book Group accordingly.
• Present original ideas for new proposals as well as those solicited from trade publishing partners and other sources at regularly scheduled meetings.
• Stay on top of what is hot and trending within the licensing world in order to develop potential projects for the Book Group.
• Additional duties & responsibilities as assigned.
• Create annual trade sales budget in conjunction with Senior Sales Manager.
• Obtain feedback from publishing partners to new ideas the Company may develop into proposals; communicates feedback from publishing partners to submitted proposals.
• Update Book Group on book sales trends that are solicited from publishing partners.
• Initiate and establish client contacts at current and new publishing houses.
• Attend and present at regularly scheduled meetings with update on sales actively being pursued.
• Track all sales made to Domestic Book Group yearly budget and update regularly on progress.
• Act as sales point person on pending reprints to trade publishers on adult & juvenile titles; provides pricing to publishing partners and follows up to confirm sales of reprint.
• Attend major annual trade shows representing Book Group.
• Develop selling lists for potential publishing partners for new proposals.
• Oversee sales database; confirms costs with Book Group team members and sets pricing to be offered to clients.
• Project profit and loss results.
• Handle final sales negotiations, including overseeing of auctions, deal terms, and pricing with clients.
• Confirm sales with publisher and launches titles with Book Group.
• Manage materials including dummies, proposals, sell sheets and briefs for the Book Group once delivered to Sales.
• Meet regularly with Foreign Sales counterparts to ensure all Sales team members have a complete understanding of what is happening in the business and to share information with the intention of developing additional revenue sources.
Key Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Proven customer service skills via phone, email & letters.
• Ability to prioritize as well as streamline daily work through strong task management in a fast paced environment.
• Enthusiasm & proven ability to build relationship with customers, outside sales representatives, vendors and internal employees.
• Ability to communicate details professionally with customers and internal management at all levels.
• Ability to compile and evaluate financial information & contribute to annual budget planning process.
• Possess a strong desire to learn and able to work independently.
• Team player with a willingness to contribute on all levels as a member of the sales team.
• Outstanding organizational skills and a high level of confidence, reliability and creativity.
• Willingness and ability to travel as needed.
• Computer proficient including Mac's & MS Suite.
Experience & Education Requirements:
• BA or BS Degree desired.
• Minimum 5 years prior inside sales experience in a consumer products company.
• Publishing industry experience a plus