|Amazon Publishing is seeking an innovative, passionate, market-savvy Senior Editor to lead our Thomas & Mercer imprint, focused on publishing exceptional mysteries and thrillers. |
Reporting to the editorial director of Amazon Publishing (Seattle), you will be responsible for the creative direction, acquisition, and management of the Thomas & Mercer list, working with teams at Amazon to deliver quality books in multiple formats. This is a multi-faceted job in a start-up environment—flexibility, agility, and a sense of humor are must-haves.
- Identifying, evaluating, and developing submissions, projects, and proposals for the Thomas & Mercer imprint, including analyzing and monitoring trend and sales data
- Collaborating with Thomas & Mercer authors to develop their work, either directly or through Thomas & Mercer editors and freelancers
- Developing and maintaining relationships with literary agents, including negotiating deals and managing contracts for Thomas & Mercer books
- Managing and monitoring acquisitions from selection through production, working closely with internal teams (marketing, production, publicity, author relations)
- Managing the editorial staff devoted to Thomas & Mercer (in-house editors and freelancers)
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 5+ years experience in fiction trade book publishing
- Deep knowledge, experience and enthusiasm for mysteries and thrillers.
- 3 or more years' experience managing an editorial team
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills; ability to use data and metrics to back up proposals (experience with MS Excel required)
- Exceptional communication skills, a passion for customers and a great appetite for reading.
- Demonstrated ability to recognize talent, juggle competing priorities, and move quickly
- MA/MS/MBA preferred
- 5 or more years experience in acquiring mystery and thriller titles