This position is responsible for guiding Fortress Press Academic projects and their authors through the publication process. Specific tasks include evaluation of submitted manuscripts for quality and conformity, providing direction to authors on Fortress Academic policies, and selective development of manuscripts for publication.
The position is a fast-paced, high volume position focused on the efficient production of quality materials.
A. Editorial development: Works with authors through the editorial and production processes.
- Establishes and maintains positive working relationships with authors and acquiring editors to successfully publish manuscripts of high quality for academic markets.
- Guides authors in preparing manuscripts for publication in print and electronic formats and ensures that submitted materials conform to publisher’s guidelines for production.
- Copyedits academic materials as needed for timely delivery to production.
- Works with project management to ensure timely, efficient publication of titles
- Works with sales and marketing as needed to manage delivery and timing of releases
- Works within established budget and schedule.
B. Process Management:
- Works within Sales, Marketing, and Project Management to set and maintain Fortress Academic publication processes.
- Works with Authors and all external contributors to adhere and enforce publication processes.
A. Commitment to Augsburg Fortress and Fortress Press vision and values.
B. Desired education and experience: Graduate degree in theology, religious studies, biblical studies, or related field.
C. Required knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Work effectively and efficiently with authors.
- Set and maintain clear, consistent standards for internal and external constituencies.
- Must be able to work in a fast paced environment of change, and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to quickly and clearly judge the quality of written content and make recommendations for further action.
- Broad knowledge of the Christian tradition and doctrines, biblical traditions, and disciplines germane to higher education in religion.
- Knowledge of and facility with electronic media, including digital publishing and formats appropriate for use in electronic publishing of all sorts.
- Ability to communicate in written and verbal forms with precision and accuracy.
- Reading knowledge of German, Greek, and Hebrew beneficial, but not required.
- Work cooperatively as a member of a team, especially with acquiring editors.
- Must possess technical acumen with personal computers and related software for word processing.
- Willingness to travel in the U.S. and Canada to represent Fortress Press.