|Disney Consumer Products (DCP) is the business segment of The Walt Disney Company that extends the Disney brand to merchandise ranging from apparel, toys, home decor and books to interactive games, food and beverages, stationery, electronics and animation art.|
Disney Publishing Worldwide develops original, award-winning content (both Disney and non-Disney branded), including Disney books, magazines and comic books. Its products are printed in more than 85 languages across 103 countries, and it is considered the largest publisher of children’s books and magazines in the world.
The managing editor oversees the content making process from concept through delivery of final files. The managing editor works closely with Art & Design, Editorial, Production, Sales, and Operations by developing and tracking various deadlines, such as due dates for manuscripts, interiors, and cover mechanicals on a title by title basis. This individual will work primarily on Disney branded titles and franchises in our Disney Press imprint.
• Oversee the editorial, art, and design development of apx. 250 books per year. Manage and prioritize schedules, set and track dates as well as collect and track costs for each project.
• Oversee the routing of book components by keeping track of manuscripts, art, layouts, sketches, or passes of each book. Must have continuous follow-up with all departments to ensure timely routing of materials.
• Lead weekly production meetings where projects are reviewed and discussed. Must take a proactive role in overcoming obstacles to ensure timely delivery of finished files and product.
• Maintain the publishing databases and systems with accurate data regarding schedules, title information, and file availability.
• Manage the day-to-day work flow and keep all departments informed of changes. This includes approval of ISBN requests, change memos, and estimate requests made by editorial.
• Create schedules for and manage the flow of sales materials.
• Work closely with editorial and packagers to create and maintain schedules for packager related content. Communicate changes to internal and external (packager) clients. Additionally, keep track of and route packager dummys for sales and editorial approvals.
• Participate in and help run standing managing editorial seasonal meetings such as List Close and Post-Launch; attend and participate in other key meetings.
• Must provide insight and participate in the testing phase of the company’s Online Product Approval (OPA) system.
• This position requires a detail-oriented individual with excellent process management skills who will interact effectively with all departments. Additionally, this position requires an adept problem solver with strong interpersonal skills.
• Managing editorial experience preferred.
• Knowledge and understanding of publishing functions and processes. Children’s publishing experience/an understanding of children’s content and formats is a plus.
• Excellent communications skills.
Disney is an EOE. Drawing Creativity from Diversity.