|Insight Editions is seeking a Senior Editor in its San Rafael, California office to acquire, edit, and project manage titles in its Entertainment and Gaming division. |
The Senior Editor acquires and edits new projects for our publishing program and develops these titles as they make their way through the manuscript, design, production, and marketing processes, championing each project from start to finish and taking responsibility for the editorial quality and integrity of each work.
This position is designed to be independent and collaborative, requiring an individual who is experienced, ambitious, flexible, self-motivated, detail-oriented, and able to work with and coordinate teams. The Senior Editor drives creative product development, giving form to the publishing program’s award-winning industry-leading publications.
The books produced by Insight Editions are heavily illustrated and often push the boundaries of format in terms of scope, materials, size, ancillary elements, and design. For this reason, an ideal candidate would have experience working with text as well as illustrative elements.
• At least six years of editorial experience in the book publishing industry
• Exceptional editorial skills in manuscript development and oversight of the copyediting and proofreading process, as well as page layouts, page proofs, and galleys
• Familiarity with The Chicago Manual of Style
• Ability to map out a project and marry the manuscript with illustrated material through book mapping and design briefs
• Experience with creating and managing schedules, knowing how to adjust them and anticipate timing problems in advance
• Strong interest in film, television, and gaming; contacts in these industries are a plus, as is experience working with licensors in these areas
• Proficiency with Word, Excel, Filemaker, and other book publishing tools and programs
• Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite or other art and photo viewing programs
• An understanding of editorial budgets and P&L formulas
• Research and develop publishing leads; prepare proposals
• Acquire new titles; devise preliminary budgets and make financial assessments
• Negotiate deals
• Champion titles through editorial development and design and production processes
• Oversee freelance project editors, writers, photo researchers, copyeditors, and other outside contributors
• Create and enforce schedules and budgets
• Strategize with marketing and special sales to create sales opportunities
• Write catalog and title information copy, and other copy for marketing collateral as needed.
This is a full-time position located in the San Rafael, California office. Please submit a cover letter and résumé to email@example.com.