|Insight Editions is seeking a Production Editor in its San Rafael office to coordinate copyediting and proofreading; collate and reconcile galley corrections; maintain style guides, and ensure the quality and integrity of all titles. |
Working with editorial, design, and production teams, the Production Editor will be an editorial liaison for publishing projects from copyedit through design and production. This position will collaborate with editorial, design, and production to meet deadlines for materials, analyze and vet layout changes, and handle editorial revisions through galley stages in preparation for printing.
In collaboration with the editors, the Production Editor also schedules and supervises freelance copyeditors and proofreaders, reviewing their work and ensuring that they meet editorial guidelines and rules. In addition, the Production Editor ensures that house style is followed throughout the company, on all materials, including marketing collateral.
• Three-five years of experience with page proofs, galley corrections, copyeditor and proofreader marks, and style guides
• Extensive knowledge of editing functions in Word, the editing workflow, coding and tagging
• An ability to relay any requirements to copyeditors and proofreaders, in addition to in-house editors and interns
• An ability to negotiate rates with freelance proofreaders and copyeditors
• Experience with design and production programs and software, such as InDesign
• Command of The Chicago Manual of Style and proper bookmaking
• Proficiency with Excel and Filemaker
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Ability to interact effectively and cooperatively with staff, colleagues, authors, and freelancers
• Problem-solving attitude and ability to gauge level of needs with editorial, design, and production staff
• Attention to detail, grammar, and spelling
• Ability to prioritize; remains calm and flexible under deadline.
• Oversee editorial galley review for all titles
• Collate and track all editorial changes and prep for design and production
• Supervise caption generation, caption copyedit, and caption placement
• Manage and update galley schedules
• Make type corrections in InDesign as needed
• Act as in-house copyeditor and proofreader
• Sign off on all rounds of galleys, proofs, bluelines/ozalids
• Log and enter reprint corrections
• Check copyright pages
• Assign ISBNs
• Train interns and new editors on house style and proofing processes.
Insight Editions is a multifaceted multimedia publishing company recognized throughout the industry as a premier content developer for print and digital entertainment. The books produced by Insight Editions are heavily illustrated and often push the boundaries of format in terms of scope, materials, size, ancillary elements, and design, and an ideal candidate would have experience working with such formats.
This is a full-time position located in the San Rafael, California office. Please submit a cover letter and résumé to email@example.com.