|Organization: Geological Society of America|
Location: Geological Society of America Headquarters, Boulder, Colorado
Employment Type: Full Time
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
The Geological Society of America seeks a Director of Publications with vision and industry experience to lead the Society’s journals and books through the evolving publications landscape.
Duties and Responsibilities of the Director of Publications
The Director of Publications directs the management and coordination of the Society’s Publications services, including editorial, production, marketing, and subscription fulfillment. His/her primary responsibilities are GSA’s print and online journal and books program, including technical development, pricing, licensing, marketing, and sales activities.
Specific Duties Include:
• Providing overall direction and planning for all Publications activities,
• Directing editorial interaction with scientist editors and editorial preparation for all Publications products,
• Overseeing the development and maintenance of editorial database systems related to tracking journal and book manuscripts, authors, and reviewers,
• Directing the organization, warehousing, and distribution of GSA publications,
• Developing a comprehensive marketing and sales strategy for GSA publications and products,
• Supervising subscription fulfillment and determining new avenues for attracting subscribers,
• Developing, negotiating, and executing site licenses between GSA and institutional customers in academia, government, and industry,
• Preparing and proposing departmental budgets,
• Reviewing vendor proposals and negotiating outside contracts, and
• Managing editorial and production personnel to include hiring, performance management, goal deployment and execution, and teamwork.
Professional Experience and Qualifications:
The ideal candidate will be a team player with at least 10 years of experience in production, marketing, and editorial and at least 5 years of experience as a manager supervising exempt, nonexempt, and contract employees. She or he will be an efficient, organized leader with strong computer literacy skills, excellent time management, and broad knowledge of the industry.
While it is not necessary that the candidate have a background in the sciences, a proven understanding of the culture of scientific professionals will be a significant asset. The successful candidate will have proven writing skills and will be comfortable speaking before a group of professionals.
The selected candidate will be willing to relocate to Boulder, Colorado, if not already located close enough to work at GSA headquarters, and should be willing to travel at least 2–3 times per year. Qualified candidates will be subject to a background check.
To be considered for this position, please provide the following documents: cover letter, resume, salary requirements, and a written response of no more than 500 words to the below scenario.
The contract with the company that hosts the Society’s online journal and books site will expire at the end of the year. Describe the steps you would take as you consider to renew or select a new host, and the factors you would consider in making your decision.
These may be sent as attachments to email@example.com or mailed to:
Geological Society of America
3300 Penrose Place
P.O. Box 9140
Boulder, CO 80301
Review of applications will begin on 15 April 2013 and the ad will remain open until the position is filled.
Note: Incomplete applications will not be considered
The Geological Society of America:
The Geological Society of America (GSA) is the preeminent professional society supporting the geological sciences in America. Founded in 1888, GSA has more than 25,000 members worldwide of whom about 20% are student and young professional members. In addition to a full publication program of well-respected journals and monograph series, GSA holds an annual meeting each fall attended by >6000 geoscience professionals, six regional meetings each spring, and selected collaborative international meetings, workshops, and field excursions. GSA interacts with more than sixty affiliated and associated societies across the globe. The Geological Society of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. See www.geosociety.org.