|Founded in 1959, Lerner Publishing Group (LPG) based in Minneapolis, publishes approximately 350 new titles each year and has more than 5,000 titles in print. For more than 50 years, we’ve created exceptional award winning nonfiction and fiction books for grades K-12 that educate, empower, and entertain readers. No matter what educators and students are looking for, LPG is sure to publish a book they’ll love. |
The Marketing Copywriter is a key member of a high-energy, fast-paced marketing team working on fully integrated marketing campaigns for Lerner Publishing Group and Brain Hive®, companies of Lerner Universal Corporation. The Marketing Copywriter works both independently and collaboratively with colleagues, and writes, proofreads, and edits promotional materials for a range of fiction and nonfiction books for children and teens. This is a “hands-on” position; the Marketing Copywriter is involved in all aspects of the marketing process, and applies his/her writing experience and skills as part of a collaborative team. Projects include product sell sheets, catalog copy, brochures, direct mail, email, newsletters, discussion guides, digital and print ads, promotions, web copy, event/tradeshow materials, social media content, and book cover and jacket copy.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Conceptualizes, writes, proofs, and edits brand, sales, product, and marketing communications, always keeping in mind the objectives of the assignment and the needs and requirements of the target audience.
2. Produces compelling, on-brand ideas and content, powerful headlines, benefits-driven copy, and marketing content that drives customer action.
3. Ensures that copy meets Lerner Publishing Group brand standards and requirements (style, voice, tone, etc.) and that written and visual content works hand in hand.
4. Consults, as appropriate, with marketing managers, editors, sales leadership, and/or product development staff for each project to clarify what is needed for the project at that stage, to identify deadlines, and to resolve copyediting issues.
Experience and Necessary Skills
• Has a minimum of two years’ experience working in a fast paced, deadline driven agency or corporate marketing department.
• Has 2–3 years of copywriting experience in advertising, direct marketing, promotion, or publishing in an agency or corporate marketing environment.
• Is well rounded, creative, and writes informative as well as persuasive copy.
• Exhibits strong project management skills , is self-motivated, and has effective team-working skills
• Demonstrates an understanding of integrated marketing campaigns.
• Has the ability to multitask, simultaneously working on a variety of projects with overlapping deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
• Possesses superior attention to detail as a dedication to excellence is imperative to the position.
• Is adaptable to changing priorities and is able to flex between copywriting and editing (conceptual, informational, and persuasive).
• Has a strong proofreading and editing skills along with fundamental knowledge of grammar, syntax, punctuation, spelling, and both AP and CMS style rules.
• Is proficient in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook. Adobe InCopy or InDesign knowledge is a plus.
• Knowledge of book publishing, academic standards, and K–12 education initiatives a plus.