|Albert Whitman & Company is seeking an experienced children’s book marketer to develop and execute all aspects of marketing of our children’s book list. The Director of Marketing will work closely with sales, editorial, design, and operations, and report directly to the company president.|
• Develop and execute corporate marketing strategies and title-specific marketing plans in all markets, including consumer, trade, institutional, and special markets.
• Develop, create, and maintain multi-platform advertising and PR campaigns for books and authors, including email marketing, trade and consumer advertising, social media outreach, blog tours, bookstore tours, festivals, and traditional publicity outlets.
• Create and extend relationships with key opinion makers, including award committee members, reviewers, editors, marketers and content specialists at key customers, bloggers, and others.
• Develop and manage marketing budget for 60+ new titles a year plus 800+ backlist titles.
• Maintain and develop company mailing lists, sampling plan, and award submissions.
• Direct and create all aspects of trade show appearances, including author presence and relationship management.
• Lead social media marketing development, including content strategy, creation, and scheduling.
• Coordinate marketing planning with ebook, audio, and other publishing partners.
• Lead strategic planning and research into the Common Core State Standards and other issues affecting sales of children’s trade books, including outreach to educators and other experts, creating alignment tactics, presenting correlations and teaching ideas, and developing marketing materials.
• Develop and execute presentations of new titles to opinionmakers and others during conferences, librarian previews, sales calls, and individual meetings.
• Contribute to list development strategies.
• Advise authors and illustrators on promotion, marketing, and brand development.
• Manage interns, freelance publicists, and other staff as needed.
• Tracking of marketing program analytics, including Google Analytics, Facebook Insights, and others.
• Approximately 10% travel required.
• Minimum Bachelor’s degree. Marketing major preferred.
• At least 5 years of prior publishing experience preferred, ideally in children’s marketing
• Creative self-starter
• Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office. Experience using Acumen a plus.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Highly organized and detail minded with strong follow-up skills
• Experience in social media marketing