|The Associate Acquisitions Editor, Fiction, will acquire and develop 12-15 titles per year and ensure on-time, on-budget releases. The Associate Acquisitions Editor also develops relationships with agents and potential authors, gaining insight into the strongest projects for the team to pursue as well as which opportunities to bypass.|
• Acquires, develops, and stewards 15-18 titles per year.
• Oversees editorial development of books acquired, including the delivery of expert and timely editorial feedback and strong author management.
• Maintains editorial schedule for titles of responsibility and traffics material to sales, marketing, production, design, and managing editorial departments in an efficient manner to meet production schedules.
• Shepherds the titling, packaging, and cataloging process for acquired titles.
• Reviews and responds to manuscript submissions.
• Facilitates timely responses to agents and authors.
• Negotiates with authors and/or agents in a manner that is fair and within financial benchmarks and develops, nurtures and grows author and agent relationships; strong editorial judgment about which authors to acquire and resign.
• Represents HCCP Fiction persuasively to the larger company and within the broader Christian Fiction community, including at writer’s conferences and industry trade shows as needed.
• Possesses expertise in cultural, entertainment, and publishing trends.
Desired candidate will possess excellent editing and proofreading skills, the ability to work with authors to develop superior content, the ability to work with others in a team environment, strong communication and interpersonal skills, the ability to juggle multiple assignments at any given time and to meet all deadlines, the ability to make independent decisions and show initiative, will be able to manage and coach creative people and a desire to see them thrive, will have a strong sense of ownership and responsibility and be passionate about Fiction.
Preferred candidate will have 2-3 years fiction editorial experience. 3+ years fiction editorial experience; Christian fiction experience desired but not required.
This position requires a B.A. in English or related field.