|Playscripts, Inc. Contracts Manager|
Playscripts, Inc. (www.playscripts.com) is an innovative play publishing and licensing company based in New York City, with an exclusive catalog of over 1,800 plays and musicals by over 1,100 contemporary authors. Playscripts licenses professional and amateur productions worldwide, publishes acting editions and trade anthologies, and is committed to connecting theaters with fresh, new voices. Playscripts prioritizes a healthy and supportive work environment, and we're looking for a new member to add to our tight knit team!
The Contracts Manager’s responsibilities will include leading contract negotiations as well as drafting contracts, initiating and managing relationships, implementing and overseeing a contracts database, and acting as a point of contact to cross-functional teams to launch titles successfully. You must have excellent written and oral communication skills, as this position involves direct contact with key industry clientele. This is a multifaceted job requiring flexibility, sharp organizational and process-oriented skills, a self-starting work ethic, and an intense dedication to the company's core values of service to both customers and playwrights.
• Contracts—Drafting, Evaluation, Negotiation and Execution:
o Publishing and Licensing Agreements between Playscripts and author/agent
o Side Agreements with Third-Parties in connection with P&L Agreements
o Licensing End-User Agreements between Playscripts and theaters/producers
o Sales / Purchasing Agreements, Sub-contracts, Consulting Agreements
o Distribution Agreements (resellers, agents, joint marketing etc.)
• Serve as the point of contact for authors, agents and customers on contractual matters.
• On all standard and nonstandard contracts, provide redlined recommendations and often negotiate directly with authors and agents, and/or their attorneys, until consensus has been reached
• Maintain contractual records and documentation such as receipt and control of all contract correspondence, contractual changes, and other documents for all projects.
• As needed, provide guidance on contract matters to Acquisitions Director, Licensing Director or other operational staff, including training to new employees in contracting practices and procedures.
• Develop and implement procedures for contract management and administration in compliance with company policy. As appropriate, contribute to or influence company policies.
• Monitor competitive terms. Monitor customer satisfaction with our terms and conditions and contracting practices. Recommend changes.
• Ensure that signed contracts are communicated to all relevant parties to provide contract visibility and awareness, interpretation to support implementation.
• Handle on-going issue and change management
• Establish system for tracking various contract milestones in relation to term limits, royalty changes, etc. to ensure contract compliance, extension or renewal.
• BA/BS required
• 5-7 years experience reviewing, drafting and negotiating contracts.*
• High level of comfort with contract legalese.
• Theatrical publishing or related experience at a publishing company, agency, or related field.
• Management experience.
• Ability to create new procedures and workflow.
• Team player with the ability to work effectively in high-energy, rapidly evolving organization.
• Experience working with MS Office.
*Special consideration will be given to those with Intellectual Property contract experience as opposed to those with artist/producer contract experience.
• Law education and/or experience.
• Theater interest and experience
• Publishing interest and experience
• Facility with spreadsheets
Salary is commensurate with experience. Playscripts, Inc. offers excellent benefits, including 401(k), medical, dental, vision, and short/long-term disability insurance.