• Under the supervision of the Bible Division Vice President, oversee the publishing program for Study Resources.
• Strategically acquire and develop authors and titles for HarperCollins Christian Publishing with viable content for Bible Division products that will stimulate Bible engagement and Bible study through print and electronic formats.
• Work collaboratively with Creative, Editorial, Marketing and Sales staff to support titles through the publication process as appropriate and required for product development.
• Maintain awareness of the editorial needs of the end consumer by reviewing current books, Bibles and other sources of content including online and print; by attending appropriate conferences and conventions; by developing contacts at the consumer level; and by cooperating with other Thomas Nelson and Zondervan divisions in the gathering and interpretation of formal and informal market research.
• Maintain awareness of market conditions, consumer buying patterns, publishing trends, social media engagement, and breakthroughs in digital product innovation, while being mindful of transmedia opportunities.
• Evaluate new product ideas for marketability, financial viability, Biblical accuracy, doctrinal soundness, editorial and academic excellence.
• Lead team in ideation of product ideas and acquisition of new projects.
• Prepare and present product proposals to internal publishing board.
• Oversee the editorial development of approved projects. This will involve various stages of manuscript editing as well as the use of developmental editors and qualified freelance editors.
• Negotiate with authors and/or agents in a manner that is fair and within approved financial benchmarks, working with Contracts team for execution of publishing contract.
• Participate in Bible Division meetings and activities (e.g. Bibles Executive Team, product planning and development, sales/marketing strategies, titling/packaging, pub board).
• Provide monthly financial reporting for Study Resources
BA in English, Communications, Journalism or related field; Masters degree in related field preferred but not necessary.
• Knowledge of English grammar, spelling, and punctuation
• Proficient in Microsoft Office, Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, etc.
• Knowledge of the Bible, including major and minor Bible translations and paraphrases on the market
• Attuned to doctrinal landscape of the Christian market
• Solid grasp of the orthodox evangelical theology and thinking
• Knowledge of competitive Bible study resources
• Knowledge of the major distribution channels, including CBA, ABA, Mass, church/ministry, international
• Awareness of trends within the church in the U.S. and other English speaking countries
• Business acumen and editorial vision for digital applications and the use of Bible content.
• Organization and administrative ability
• Excellent communications skills
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Ability to negotiate
• Ability to work effectively with authors and agents
• Ability to maintain and work within a budget
• Excellent time/project management skills
• Demonstrate initiative and highly motivated
• Team player
• Integrity and discernment
• Passionate desire to market Christian products
• Confident, professional attitude
• Highly Flexible
• Networking ability
• Ability to maintain work/life balance with family and friends