The Executive Director, Chain Sales is responsible for managing our sales, promotional and marketing efforts across multiple imprints for the key retail chains Barnes and Noble and Books A Million. The executive director must facilitate the efforts of sales personnel for physical books to maximize sales and in-store marketing and promotions. The director must also act as a liaison between the Sales Department and the flagship imprint of Little, Brown.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Increase sales across new frontlist titles and backlist titles. Work with sales colleagues to grow market share against competing brands, drive key backlist via strategic repromotions throughout the year, and develop new ideas and initiatives to drive sales at the key retail chains.
• Regularly analyze brand market share at chain accounts against industry sales trends, the growing effects of eBook sales on other formats, seasonal sales patterns, and sales on competing titles and series and use this knowledge in sales efforts and to inform publishers.
• Create in-store marketing plans and promotions to drive sales, focusing on brand name bestselling authors and work with retailers and sales reps to ensure maximum in-store visibility and promotion at store level.
• Communicate all brand-related schedule changes, publicity updates, marketing initiatives, special offers, and advertising plans to the Sales Department and imprint Publishers in a timely and continuous fashion.
• Communicate regularly with the brand, marketing and publicity teams within HBG and update them on initiatives, opportunities, and sales performance. Includes tracking of new brand titles against comparable titles, bestseller list placement, in-store promotions, and store traffic patterns.
• Act as Sales Department liaison in imprint related meetings with other departments. Advise imprint publishers and editors on title scheduling, cover design, pricing, and account feedback.
• Advise Little Brown on acquisitions and attend all scheduled meetings for Little Brown and for other imprints as time allows.
• Manage the Barnes and Noble and Books A Million sales teams to maximize sales.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
• 4-6 year of extensive selling, marketing and analysis experience preferably to National Accounts.
• Experience managing a multiple person sales team.
• Requires a well organized individual who is capable of juggling many different projects at one time.
• Candidate must have excellent presentation skills, be personable and outgoing, should have good computer skills and be willing to travel.
• Strong communication skills (verbal and written) with the aptitude to communicate effectively in both individual and group settings regardless of audience.
• Must be results driven, and take appropriate steps to achieve goals while taking ownership of situations as needed.
• Proven ability to deliver timely, accurate work product and demonstrate good follow up and follow through.
• Drives change and innovation by improving work product or process, and challenges established norms where appropriate.
• Proven ability to build supportive and constructive relationships within and outside of the organization; takes the lead in inspiring others to work together for mutual benefit.
• Excellent organizational skills with the ability to multi-task, prioritize, and manage time effectively while also ensuring accuracy of work through attention to detail.
• Operates ethically: admits mistakes, treats others with respect, trust, and dignity, demonstrates honest and ethical behavior, and follows through on commitments and agreements.