Control, direct and assign work to in-house Mac department, graphic designers, and art assistant. Purchase art, photography, and design from outside suppliers. Position ensures that quality standards, schedule, and costs are met for all projects.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
• Design books, catalogs, ads, displays and promotional material from manuscript to print- or web-ready PDF files using Adobe CS and Quark. Select, manipulate and color-correct images.
• Schedule and prioritize work for staff to adhere to set deadlines.
• Review and develop new series designs and templates (covers and interiors) and participate in format development with senior staff with a key sense of creating formats with long term applications.
• Provide design ideas and improvements for ebooks and apps.
• Develop a broad base of freelance designers, illustrators, and photographers.
• Negotiate price and schedules with freelancers to meet budget requirements.
• Review art requests submitted by Editorial and assign to in-house or freelance illustrators depending on level of work required.
• Check and approve color proofs submitted by printers for accuracy and quality.
• Communicate with Production Managers in the development of schedules.
• Supervise and direct photographers at location and studio sessions.
• Establish and maintain electronic art library.
• Review and analyze department budget.
• Traffic art and design materials to editorial, marketing, and production departments for review and approval.
• Handle the needs of the marketing and sales departments, including ads, catalogs, posters, promotional materials, and dummies.
• Research the latest design and print techniques to incorporate into design work.
• Responsible for the upgrade of software and operating systems.
• Advise and instruct the MAC Department staff regarding the use of hardware and software.
• Must have the ability to clearly see design flaws and improve designs either through communication with designers and illustrators, or quickly make changes yourself.
• Providing information to supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates with an eye to making the most creative product, while staying on schedule and under budget.
• Problem solve any issues regarding work as it occurs or anticipate and correct.
• Bachelor Degree In Graphic Arts
• Minimum 8 years’ experience in publishing or associated field with 4 years of managerial experience desired.
• Expert knowledge of Adobe CS.
• Comprehensive knowledge of typography, photography, printing, and art trends and methods.
• Be open to others’ ideas and exhibit willingness to try new things.
• Speak clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations.
• Be able to read and interpret written information.
• Be an effective communicator with the ability to partner with the management team to influence positive continuous change.
• Identify and resolve problems in a timely manner, gather and analyze information skillfully, and maintain confidentiality.