JobZone Users, We Have Switched JobZone Platforms: DO NOT USE THIS PAGE TO POST JOBS
Please try logging in with the same email as you used with this system and reset your password. Email the above address if you have any issues.
|Editorial Director, Humanities|
|Alexander Street Press|
|Alexander Street Press is a publisher of award-winning online collections. Located in Alexandria, VA, we are recognized by our customers and peers for producing products of outstanding quality. We see understanding customer needs and delivering high quality and innovative products as the root of our success. We are looking for an experienced Editorial professional for the role of Editorial Director, Humanities.|
The Editorial Director manages a growing portfolio of products that profitably serve our customers and support the company strategy. As a member of the Senior Team in the Editorial Department, this role shapes publishing plans and has the opportunity to grow with a steadily expanding company. The role reports to the Sr. VP, Editorial and Development and is based at our head office in Alexandria, Virginia.
• Devises well-argued profitable business cases together with financials that leverage company capabilities and fit customer needs. Works with other departments to ensure figures are agreed to.
• Thinks commercially while balancing the needs of the scholarly community.
• Identifies and corrects products that aren’t selling/fail to meet standards.
• Initiates new products and discipline areas based on market feedback.
• Monitors sales, costs, and usage for portfolio and takes action based on trends. Understands how products compare to others in the company and comparable products in the industry.
• Attends conferences; regularly speaks with librarians and scholars.
• Forms and runs advisory boards to achieve practical outcomes.
• Anticipates and solves customer problems. Turns around negative customer opinion.
• “Sells” products to our sales team so they feel proud and well-equipped to sell them.
• Creates title-level bibliographies that enable us to license and promote future collections. Identify key publishers, archives, collections, web sites, and other sources for licensing and/or obtaining product content.
• Gains a scholarly understanding of discipline areas. Learns enough to be accepted by the academic community and engage in productive conversations.
• Demonstrates superior research skills that go beyond just “Googling.”
• Seeks out new licensing relationships and archives in particular. Licenses at high volume quickly. Evolves existing relationships into new business opportunities.
• Advocates for IPs once signed, ensuring royalties are paid accurately and on time, etc.
• Is self-directed working toward high-level goals set mutually with manager.
• Works independently for long amounts of time, and collaboratively when necessary.
• Adjusts, responds to, and manages a changing list of priorities to meet deadlines.
• Reports on goals bi-weekly to manager.
• Establishes ongoing relationships with colleagues in software development, production, sales, marketing, and finance.
• Asks for support when it is needed.
• Leads small teams to achieve results.
• Exhibits our core capabilities (see below) in project work.
• Reaches beyond role to hold others accountable and coach others in the company.
• Understands and is able to present ASP’s benefits to prospective partners, the company strategy, organization, philosophy and technologies. Prepares sales tools and other material as appropriate to present these issues.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
• 5+ years experience in electronic publishing for the educational market preferably in an editorial or product management role.
• Demonstrated success defining and launching online digital collections.
• Bachelor's degree required,and graduate degree preferred.
• Strong organizational, time management and project management skills.
• Must have strong intellectual capacity to pull together key themes from confusing and unrelated data.
• Superior verbal and written communication skills.
• Understanding of database design and web usability.
• The following knowledge/experience is highly valued:
• Background in humanities, especially literature, drama, or film a plus.
• Previous experience as an acquisitions editor or direct work with academics.
• Experience working with university archives.
• Experience working with digital media such as music or video.
• Facility with Microsoft Excel.