JobZone Users, We Have Switched JobZone Platforms: DO NOT USE THIS PAGE TO POST JOBS
Please try logging in with the same email as you used with this system and reset your password. Email the above address if you have any issues.
|Editorial, Design, & Production Manager|
|Oregon State University Press|
|The Oregon State University Press seeks a highly motivated Editing, Design, and Production Manager to manage editing, design, and production of scholarly and trade books in print and digital formats. Reporting to the Director of the Press, the EDP Manager is responsible for 30-35 new books and reprints per year. This includes overseeing copyediting, proofreading, indexing, design, composition, production, and manufacturing for all new books produced by the Press. The EDP Manager plays a key role in Press management and planning.|
Since 1961, the OSU Press, located in Corvallis, Oregon, has been publishing exceptional books about the Pacific Northwest—its people and landscapes, its flora and fauna, its history and cultural heritage. As the only university press in the state, OSU Press plays a vital role in the region’s literary life, providing readers with a better understanding of what it means to live in the Northwest. We are a scholarly publisher with distinguished books in several academic areas—from environmental history and natural resource management to Indigenous studies—and we publish titles that celebrate, evaluate, and illuminate the Oregon experience.
In 2007, OSU Press joined the OSU Libraries. Oregon State University Libraries and Press is a dynamic environment that promotes innovation, values diversity, nurtures creativity, and builds strong communities. Press staff work closely with library colleagues on projects and digital initiatives.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Direct all work related to the editing, design, and production of OSU Press books.
• Prepare detailed editing and production schedules, and monitor and meet schedules, from manuscript editing through delivery in warehouse.
• Copyedit, design, and lay out a portion of each season’s new titles.
• Supervise the production assistant and manage a pool of freelance copyeditors, proofreaders, indexers, and designers. Coordinate, check, and approve all freelance work.
• Maintain awareness of new and emerging software and tools to advance the Press’s digital initiatives.
• Determine specifications for books with regard to design, art, composition, and manufacturing. Prepare and upload print-ready files to printers, conversion providers, and e-book vendors, or supervise these tasks. Check printer’s proofs in soft and hard form.
• Oversee the reprinting and restocking of backlist titles in conventional, digital, and print-on-demand formats.
• Bachelor’s degree;
• Three years or more of editorial, design, and production experience in scholarly, professional, or trade publishing;
• Demonstrated ability to create and manage schedules, track multiple projects, and meet production dates and budgets in a deadline-driven environment;
• Knowledge of current digital publishing technologies;
• Excellent communication, interpersonal, decision-making, and organizational skills;
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively;
• Proficiency with MAC OS and editing and design software, including Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Office;
• Extensive understanding of all aspects of book publishing.
• Three to five years or more as a managing editor or EDP Manager at a scholarly press;
• Supervisory experience related to freelance work of copy editors, proofreaders, and designers;
• A demonstrable commitment to promoting and enhancing diversity;
• Knowledge of the areas in which OSU Press publishes.