- Spring 2018 Flying Starts: Elizabeth Lilly
Lilly says the agent told her it was the “best revision she’d ever seen.”Multiple publishers made offers.
- Writers to Watch Fall 2018: Anticipated Debuts
“One agent interested in the book wanted me to rewrite it to be about Dennis.
- Spring 2018 Flying Starts: Joy McCullough
She wrote five novels before landing her first agent, despite querying each one.
- Book Deals: Week of July 2, 2018
The authors did not use an agent in the deal.
- Spring 2018 Flying Starts: Tomi Adeyemi
When her submission was accepted, she quit teaching, moved in with her boyfriend, and started writing full-time.Through Pitch Wars, Adeyemi found agents Hillary Jacobson and Alexandra Machinist of ICM Partners.
- Spring 2018 Flying Starts: Jessica Love
Parker’s agent showed Love’s book to another agent, Meredith Kaffel Simonoff, and a match was made.
- Spring 2018 Flying Starts: Anat Deracine
She says that because “the book was in my head and wouldn’t let go,” she took time off from work and wrote the first draft in a month, initially writing in third person because she found writing in first person a stretch.Deracine attended a Writer’s Digest conference and pitched the story to
- Publishing Mentorship Program Focuses on Representation
“This was a lot like that.”Another alum, Wendolyne Sabrozo, who recently transitioned from a job at Atria Books to an assistantship to agent Johanna V.
- The Rise of Indie Audiobooks: An Interview with Scott Brick
He has a series about a guy of a suspect past who is also an agent for good—he tries to help people who can’t help themselves.
- Licensing Hotline: June 2018
Licensing agent Moxie & Co. granted rights for the Magnolia Bakery brand to HarperDesign for a cookbook and for the Hello Lucky art brand to Scholastic for a prompted activity journal about kindness....
- Religion Book Deals: June 27, 2018
Illustrators for both books are to be announced, and Hendey didn't use an agent.
- New Titles from Self-Publishers: June 2018
Booksellers, publishers, librarians, and agents are encouraged to look at the 85 self-published titles below.
- Open Book: Comeback Novel Spotlights the Haves and Have Nots
She sent a note: “I have a new manuscript, and I need an agent.”Hochman took a look.
- Why Anthony Bourdain Matters
He was my husband’s close friend and the three of us, with Bourdain’s agent, Kim Witherspoon, conceived of what would become Kitchen Confidential, which I published in 2000.
- Pay Yourself the Advance
Authors often wait on agents and editors for a couple of years before taking their next steps, but a $495 training program only needs 20 participants to gross $10,000 for the author—before the book is even finished.