- BookCon 2018: Mysteries and Thrills in the Age of Fake News
This November, Long Road to Mercy will pub with a new female lead, FBI special agent Atlee Pine.
- NYRF 2018: Money, Status Will Drive More Diversity
“Forty-five percent of movie tickets are bought by people of color, but we only make up 38% of the population,” said Tabitha Watkins, executive and motion picture agent with Creative Artist Agency.
- BookExpo 2018: Jonathan Lethem: Trumped No More
“I worked in bookstores all through my 20s, when I was writing but not yet published, and I was knocking on the doors of agents and editors.
- BookExpo 2018: Sally Field: Putting It Together
And that’s what I did.”For inspiration, Field looked to writers she’s admired over the years—Elizabeth Strout, Jane Smiley, and Frank McCourt—and researched their agents.
- BookExpo 2018: Futter and Raab Get Ready to Launch Celadon
After so many years in so many corporate places, it’s a nice change.”So far, Raab says, they’ve had an excellent reception from agents.
- BookExpo 2018: Blink Celebrates Five Years of ‘Clean Teen’
Many of Blink’s titles have received starred reviews in PW, Kirkus, and Booklist, and are frequently chatted up on the social media blog Epic Reads.Bourland couldn’t be more delighted: “We’ve found that there are agents with really good books to publish, but most publishers weren’t interested i
- BookExpo 2018: How Real Life Inspires Writers
In the midst of it all, an agent contacted me, asking if I had a book in the works, and, well, here we are.Stephen MarkleyOhio’s gestation dates back to one of those nights I had back in my hometown during my late 20s, pretty lost in life, banging around the bars,
- BookExpo 2018: Tommy Orange: The Urban Native American
Writer Claire Vaye Watkins was there and asked if she could send his manuscript to her agent, Nicole Aragi.
- BookExpo 2018: Gary Shteyngart Is Grateful for Greyhound
He’d gotten stuck after writing more than 100 pages of a new novel, a globe-trotting thriller about a woman who works as an intelligence agent for a hedge fund.
- Panelists Share Blockbuster Secrets
Touchstone published the novel in hardcover last summer, and the paperback hits in June.Curtis Brown Australia agent Clare Forster described the success of The Dry by Jane Harper.
- Exporting Scandinavian Storytelling
Before the wave of Scandinavian crime fiction broke, Läckberg’s agent struggled to find an English-language publisher.
- Diversity’s Bottom Line
A panel of editors and agents took on the finances behind publishing’s diversity problems in a discussion hosted by the Independent Book Publishers Association yesterday.
- BookExpo 2018: What's Happening on the Children’s Front
Sharing their perspectives are agents Marietta B.
- What Evil Lurks in the Hearts of... Women? Author Samantha Downing Knows.
“The coffee turned into wine, and all the agents adored her,” Poelle says.
- How to Network Better by Saying Less
The writer’s response wasn’t bad: it was essentially the meaty hook that would be appropriate in a query letter to an agent or editor.