- Murder in East Germany: PW Talks with David Young
The feedback to my agents seems to be that they don’t trust an Englishman writing about a difficult time in their history.
- Book Deals: Week of June 19, 2017
Agent Jacques de Spoelberch, who has an eponymous shingle and represented Varese, said the book is based on an actual photographer named William Mumler who worked in Boston and New York before, and after, the Civil War.
- In Memoirs, Religious Writers Tell of Faith Lost and Found
Humans are fascinated by other humans, and that means that the stories people tell of their own lives are enduringly popular.
- Q & A with Mackenzi Lee
I signed with her four or five years ago a new agent.
- Licensing Expo Shows Deep Bond Between Books and Tie-Ins
These were primarily exhibited by licensing agents and by the many entertainment studios and producers that are currently creating book-based entertainment.A handful of publishers also had stands.
- Percival Everett Works Through Ideas...with Fiction
“I don’t share my work with anyone, except my agent,” Everett says.
- Book Deals: Week of June 12, 2017
The authors did not use an agent in the deal, and the book is slated for fall 2018.Patty Rice at Andrews McMeel nabbed world English rights to the debut by web cartoonist Catana Chetwynd, Little Moments of Love: A Catana Comics Collection.
- Open Book: That Was the Week That Was
And since this is my inaugural column, and the first BookExpo I can remember when I wasn’t on lockdown in the pressroom, I’m considering 13 a lucky number.My goal with this new column is to expand PW’s reach into the future: to talk with editors, agents, publishers, and scouts a
- Obituary: Superagent Ed Victor Dies at 78
Ed Victor, a nonpareil among literary agents, has died.
- Four Questions with Sarah Dessen
My agent said to me, “This is YA,” and I said I didn’t know if it was.
- Obituary: Geoffrey Hayes
It was a wonderful 40-plus years of first working as his editor and then his agent—and friend—and to enjoy watching him hone his talent as both artist and writer.
- Religion Publishers Make New Connections, Raise Questions at BookExpo 2017
“We meet readers and do experiential marketing and can sell books— we still find value in the show, meeting passers-by and getting together with distributors, foreign publishers, booksellers, and media,” said Jon Graham, acquisitions editor for the publisher.Also offering reasons why religion publishers con
- BookExpo 2107: All Abuzz About Middle Grade
She also noted that the novel came to her from author-turned-agent Rebecca Stead, who works with The Book Group, and whose “empathy for resilient kids” Szabla trusts wholeheartedly.
- Book Deals: Week of June 5, 2017
Minotaur’s Hope Dellon struck the agreement with Little, Brown Book Group U.K.’s rights director, Kate Hibbert, and Fellowes’s agent, Caroline Michel at PFD.
- BookCon 2017: Back to Her Beginnings: Marie Lu
It’s the novel that helped her secure her agent back in 2007, though they weren’t able to sell the book at the time.