- Licensing Hotline: January 2017
JLK Brand is the new licensing agent for author-illustrator Sandra Magsamen’s lifestyle brand.
- Lit Agencies Call for Submissions from Muslim Writers
Agents involved in the call as of the issuing of the statement include: Laura Biagi of the Jean V.
- The Full Text of 'Bad Feminist' Author Roxane Gay’s WI12 Speech
People of color are underrepresented editorially, in book marketing, publicity, and as literary agents.
- Survival Stories: Sara Zarr
Zarr’s agent, Michael Bourret at Dystel & Goderich Literary Management, instead sold it to Brown at Balzer + Bray in a two-book deal.
- Spring 2017 Children's Announcements: Publishers S-Z
Sasquatch/Little BigfootIf I Were a Whale by Shelley Gill, illus. by Erik Brooks (Feb. 21, hardcover, $9.99, ISBN 978-1-63217-104-7) teaches about whales in the Pacific, Atlantic, and Arctic Oceans through illustrations and rhymes.
- WI12: Indie Booksellers Talk Shop, Discussion of Diversity Dominates
One panel, entitled The Life Cycle of a Book, brought together the author Elizabeth Strout, her agent Molly Friedrich, editor Susan Kamil and marketing executive Ruth Liebmann, both from Random House, as well as Pete Mulvihill of Green Apple Books in San Francisco, Ca, and Betsy Burton
- Religion Book Deals: January 2017
/Commonwealth rights to the title from the author’s agent, Sheree Bykofsky.IVP ‘Reconstructs’ the GospelGreg Daniel with Daniel Literary Group sold world rights to IVP for a new book by Strangers at my Door author Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove.
- Dear Publishers: Latinos Read Books, Too
These cultural gatekeepers—publishers, editors, agents—are simply unfamiliar with Latinos.
- BookLife Prize in Fiction Awarded to 'The Vanirim'
Slee is building on the idea on a Facebook page and plans to test it out with the sequel to The Vanirim.For now, Slee will continue to self-publish (he’s had a heck of a debut year, after all), but if the right agent or publisher were to come along, one who could
- Justice a Hot Topic for Religion Publishers
Strain of Catholic Relief Services, examines immigration through the lens of Catholic social teachings.In All the Agents and Saints: Dispatches from the U.S.
- Book Deals: Week of January 23, 2017
Walker in a deal negotiated with Rae Shirvington, a rights agent with EBury Publishing UK, a division of Penguin Random House.
- New Titles from Self-Publishers, January 2017
Booksellers, publishers, librarians, and agents are encouraged to look at the 50 self-published titles below, with descriptions provided by their authors.
- Publishing Community Mounts Trump Protests
In New York City, a group organized by Farrar, Straus & Giroux editor Sarah Crichton, and writers Rebecca Okrent and Marilyn Johnson, has dubbed itself “Don’t Trump on U.S.” and has gathered more then 350 editors, agents, writers, and artists to march on Trump Tower.
- S&S Children's Authors Protest Yiannopoulos Deal
“I believe these authors and illustrators were motivated by the belief that by banding together to make a public statement, they will provide courage to others who are faced with similar dilemmas,” agent Erin Murphy said in a statement.
- Future House Publishing: A Young Press Off to a Bright Start
Evertaster, a middle-grade novel about a boy in search of the most delicious thing in the world (“Indiana Jones meets Charlie and the Chocolate Factory”) was shopped around by his agent, Alyssa Henkin at Trident Media Group.