- Fall 2018 Flying Starts: Molly Brooks
Heather Alexander, then an agent at Pippin Properties, saw a mention of the book in Publishers Weekly, noticed that Brooks was unagented, and reached out to her.
- Fall 2018 Flying Starts: Laura Weymouth
“There’re constant emails back and forth with your editors and agents and publicists.
- Fall 2018 Flying Starts: Oge Mora
Mora wound up selling her final project (she got an A) to editor Andrea Spooner and also a second book, Saturday, scheduled for release in fall 2019.Only later did Mora get an agent, after displaying her work at an SCBWI conference.
- Children's Publishers Choose Their Favorite Reads of 2018
I really look forward to seeing what the author writes next.Andrea Spooner, v-p and editorial director, Little, Brown Books for Young ReadersStumpkin by Lucy Ruth Cummins was mailed to me by the author-artist’s agent in a promotional mailing.
- PW's Most-Read Children's and YA Stories of 2018
Agent Danielle Smith’s Former Clients Speak OutThe industry was shaken when the principal of Lupine Grove Creative, an agency specializing in children’s and YA authors, acted more like a literary grifter than a literary agent.1.
- Religion Publishers Have Great Expectations for 2019
Leading religion lists next year are books that address classic topics, as well as those that cluster around current events.Violence & ForgivenessHow do you forgive the unforgivable?
- Meet the Finalists of the 2018 BookLife Prize
The book centers on an FBI agent with the bureau’s art-theft task force and touches on the life of the painter Rembrandt.
- The Top 10 Library Stories of 2018
And on March 11, ALA announced that Alexie, via his agent, had declined the Carnegie Medal.No question, Alexie’s decision took some pressure off the ALA, which no longer had to worry about inviting (or disinviting) the author to the awards reception at the ALA Annual Conference that
- What’s New on Campus...and at Publishing Programs
He points to Luna Tang, an international student from Qingzhou, a small town in eastern China, who recounts her experience on the university’s website: “I coworked with a few copy editors, as knowledgeable as walking encyclopedias; I took business trips with professional subrights agents, socializi
- A Rival of Sherlock Holmes: PW Talks with Mick Finlay
The next step was to try and make him different from Holmes.Can you expand on Arrowood’s view of himself as an “emotional agent, not a deductive agent”?
- Three Editors In Three Countries Made 'The Water Cure' What It Is
It was her first acquisition.Immediately after the U.K. auction, Grainne Fox at Fletcher & Company, Mackintosh’s agent in the U.S. and Canada, began submitting The Water Cure in North America.
- Book Deals: Week of December 17, 2018
FROM THE U.S.Viking Unveils New le Carré Bestselling espionage scribe John le Carré sold a new book, Agent Running in the Field, to Viking, slated for October 2019.
- New Titles from Self-Publishers: December 2018
Booksellers, publishers, librarians, and agents are encouraged to look at the 100 self-published titles below.
- Licensing Hotline: December 2018
The agreement was brokered by Evolution USA, the licensing agent representing Smooshy Mushy and its licensor Olo Industries.
- Religion and Spirituality Book Deals: December 12, 2018
Brazos Goes Back to the BeginningAcquisition editor for Brazos Press Katelyn Beaty bought world rights from agent Rachelle Gardner to a new book by Native American writer Kaitlin Curtice (Glory Happening).