- New Titles from Self-Publishers: June 2021
Booksellers, publishers, librarians, and agents are encouraged to look at the 112 self-published titles below.
- Spring 2021 Flying Starts: Faridah Àbíké-Íyímídé
I queried it until July when I got my first agent,” who then sold it to Usborne in the U.K.
- Spring 2021 Flying Starts: B.B. Alston
So I gave it a shot.”For the next few years, Alston pursued his career through traditional methods, submitting to agents with no measurable success.
- Spring 2021 Flying Starts: Michelle Sterling
I knew how hard it is to find an agent, and you’re never guaranteed publication.
- Matthew Pearl's Latest Explores the American Frontier
In early 2018, Matthew Pearl told his longtime agent, WME’s Suzanne Gluck, his idea for a nonfiction book.
- Spring 2021 Flying Starts: Laekan Zea Kemp
“That’s just what comes most naturally to me.”In 2019, Kemp learned about #DVPit, a Twitter pitch event showcasing un-agented pitches from marginalized voices, and she decided to pitch Somewhere Between Bitter and Sweet.
- Spring 2021 Flying Starts: Gracey Zhang
When Mann became an agent on her own, Zhang signed with her.Zhang found out about a residency in France, a three-month stint in a town that hosted a festival dedicated to comics and animation.
- Louise Penny Is Still Killin’ It
I put my love and focus into them as one would a child.”Penny’s agent, David Gernert, says, “People make the grave mistake of calling Louise’s books mysteries, which isn’t accurate.
- Kidlit 'Books for Palestine' Auction Raises $86,000
Chakraborty’s Daevabad Trilogy, and a query/20-page critique by literary agent Joanna Volpe.
- Licensing Hotline: June 2021
The initial press release about the licensing program has generated a lot of interest from potential licensees in North America, she said, as well as from licensing agents in other territories.
- SCBWI Gives a Boost to Underrepresented Book Creators with New Award
When submitting manuscripts, author applicants must supply the following information: a personal artist’s statement, a synopsis of their work, expected publishing date and names of their editor, agent, and publisher.
- HC Inks Deal with MLK Jr. Archives
Judith Curr, president and publisher of HarperOne Group, negotiated the deal with Amy Berkower, president, Writers House and agent for the King estate; and Eric D.
- Rights Report: Week of June 21, 2021
Hannah Hill at Delacorte has acquired, in a preempt, Lancers, the debut YA trilogy by author Yoon Ha Lee (Dragon Pearl).
- Religion and Spirituality News Briefs: June 23, 2021
Laura Wheeler becomes acquisitions editor, responsible for acquiring and editing 12-15 novels per year as well as building and maintaining relationships with authors and agents.
- Bologna Children's Book Fair: 'From Page to Screen'
The U.S. market is more likely to have agents representing the publishers and authors, for example, and there are tax differences from region to region.