- Jeff Hobbs Brings You Back to School
“This is a book that crosses over cultures, class, and race, and that’s at the heart of what Jeff Hobbs is looking to bring to the world,” says Hobbs’s agent, David Black at the David Black Literary Agency.Colin Harrison, Hobbs’s editor and the v-p and editor-in-chief of Scr
- Book Deals: Week of June 22, 2020
The thriller, acquired from Inkwell Management’s Richard Pine and Eliza Rothstein, follows two female CIA agents who, Kim explained, “become intertwined around a threat to the Russia Division—one that’s coming from inside the agency.”
- Fall 2020 Announcements: History
CrownAgent Sonya: Moscow’s Most Daring Wartime Spy by Ben Macintyre (Sept. 15, $28, ISBN 978-0-593-13630-0) recounts the WWII espionage career of Soviet intelligence agent Ursula Burton, who gathered atomic secrets and ran a network of spies from her cottage in the Cotswolds.
- When Book Collaborations Go Bad
The editor sent our agent the bill requesting that Cindy reimburse the publisher.
- Fall 2020 Announcements: Romance & Erotica
Wright’s second contemporary to feature the Hollywood fixers of the Pure Talent Agency follows agent Skye Palmer as she tries to control the narrative around a client’s divorce.
- Fall 2020 Announcements: Mysteries & Thrillers
FBI agent Corrie Swanson takes on a case involving a mummified corpse discovered in a New Mexico ghost town.
- Obituary: U.K. Literary Felicity Bryan
Felicity Bryan, one of Britain’s most respected literary agents, died June 21 after a long struggle with cancer.
- The On-Sale Calendar: September 2020
SEPTEMBER September 1 Chaos by Iris Johansen (Grand Central Publishing, $28; ISBN 978-1-5387-1313-6). 125,000 copies.
- Sigrid Nunez Returns After Her NBA Win
My current agent had vanished while that book was in production!
- Have Race Issues in Publishing Reached a Tipping Point?
My agent and I fought and fought before we wrestled our way to that number.”In creating #PublishingPaidMe, McKinney tweeted, “When books by white authors don’t perform, they’re likely to get another chance and another 100k advance.
- Fall 2020 Announcements: Audio
., $35 CD, ISBN 978-1-5491-4145-4), introduces Alisa Flynn, a CIA agent who may be willing to go rogue to catch the most heartless criminals she’s ever encountered.
- Book Deals: Week of June 15, 2020
The agent added that the book was “pitched as Dear White People meets the college admissions scandal.”
- Amistad Launches #BlackoutBestsellerList on Social Media
Kendi (author of How to Be an Antiracist), and to veteran Black literary agent Marie Brown to get their thoughts on the campaign before it went live.
- Red Sofa Literary Principal Threatens to Sue Other Agents, Author
The two agents are Beth Phelan of Gallt and Zacker (the email was cc’ed to that agency’s two principals) and Kelly Van Sant, who until two weeks ago worked for Red Sofa.
- Coalition of Individuals, Literary Organizations Issues Demands to Tattered Cover
Other signers include agent Kristin Nelson and four of her colleagues at the Nelson Literary Agency and Angela Maria Spring of Duende District Bookstore in Washington, D.C.Describing Tattered Cover as more than simply a place where one can buy books, but as an influential hub of literary activity