- Fall 2019 Flying Starts: Julia Drake
Creating a tiered list, she sent queries to a small number of agents.
- Author John Bragg Wins the 2019 BookLife Prize Fiction Contest
I have submitted to agents in the past with no success.
- Rights Report: Week of December 16, 2019
Publication is slated for September 2020; Liza Voges at Eden Street represented the authors, and the artist represented himself.Alex Borbolla at Atheneum has acquired world rights to Kira Bigwood's (l.) debut picture book Secret, Secret Agent Guy.
- Licensing Hotline: December 2019
Random House Expands with Films, Nick Jr.
- RBmedia Names New Publisher of ChristianAudio
In her new role, Dobson is responsible for acquiring all content for ChristianAudio, managing relationships with partner publishers, agents, and authors in the Christian market, and overseeing ways to grow the brand.
- Noteworthy YA Trilogies Get Finales This Season
Writing a multi-book series is a bit like trying to get your arms around an elephant: even if and when you succeed, you feel like you have been stretched to the breaking point.
- Book Deals: Week of December 16, 2019
The new book, the agent continued, “will look at how this deeply ingrained ideal of American self-reliance and do-it-yourself grit has helped to both mask and perpetuate the wealth gap in this country, and what we can do to address it.”
- Born of Friendship, the Book Group Is Making Its Mark as an Agency
The eight women who work at Book Group (four principals, one senior agent, one agent, and two assistants) seem different.
- ALA Midwinter 2020: The Top 10 Library Stories of 2019
In an earlier memo to authors and agents, Sargent claimed that 45% of the company’s “digital reads” were through libraries—a new and still unexplained statistic.
- New Agency Promotes African Writers for Youth
What Accord will do is reach out directly to authors who don’t have agents, authors who are working on ideas and need help to shape them.
- PW’s 10 Most-Read Religion Stories of 2019
Agents Discuss the New Norms of Christian PublishingDespite shrinking physical retail space, literary agents in the Christian publishing industry remain hopeful amid new trends reflective of an evolving market.6.
- Q & A with Brigid Kemmerer
I wrote about 50 pages and sent it to my agent, who loved it.
- Spring 2020 Announcements: Mysteries & Thrillers
Stephanie Wrobel’s debut is notable for its original take on mother-daughter conflict, but other authors this season, including Lauren Beukes, Jess Kidd, and Matt Ruff, deliver books with fresh, arresting premises.Top 1088 NamesMatt Ruff.
- Spring 2020 Announcements: Politics & Current Events
Spring delivers exposés of the NRA and the religious right, portraits of the American immigrant experience, inquiries into financial industry malfeasance, celebrations of LGBTQ advances, and ideas for bridging the partisan divide.Top 10Capital and IdeologyThomas Piketty, trans. by Arthur Goldhammer.
- Spring 2020 Announcements: History
From global exploration in the year 1000 to the end of the Gilded Age and Winston Churchill’s dauntless leadership during the blitz, the spring’s notable histories look to the past for insights and inspiration that resonate today.Top 10American Sherlock: Murder, Forensics, and the Birth of American CSIKate