- How Writers Can Pay It Forward
When my agent, Stacy Testa, sold my latest novel, The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek, I knew I wanted to find a way to pay it forward.
- Bologna 2019: Photos from the Fair
Holiday House’s Neal Porter peruses his schedule at the Literary Agents Center.
- Apple Books Category Bestsellers, March 31, 2019
The American Agent by Jacqueline Winspear - 9780062436696 - (Harper) 9.
- Bologna 2019: New Ventures, Milestones, and Trends
Curtis Brown agent Ginger Clark was one of many who cited the presence of Netflix at this year’s fair.
- Scribd Starts Original Content Program
Bryant has consulted for Scribd before and is the former editor-in-chief and co-founder of Byliner.Scribd is reaching out to authors, agents and publishers looking for works that will make a good Originals piece.
- Meet the Publicist: Linda Duggins
Duggins added, “That’s when you have to enlist the team—the editor, marketing, the agent—to stay focused on the author and the book.”Recently, Duggins has been working on lifestyle books, among them cookbooks and diet books, which require different kinds of outreach than fiction or other types
- Life and Literary Lessons from Oz
I wrote up a proposal, found an agent, and then a publisher—so far, so good.
- Licensing Hotline: March 2019
Riding the Baby Shark Wave Last December, Scholastic published Baby Shark: Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo, a 24-page, 9x9 paperback based on the public-domain song that is the basis of the wildly popular YouTube video and earworm from Pinkfong.
- Co-piloting the Story: PW Talks with Jane Yolen and Heidi E.Y. Stemple
JY: After I wrote the first drafts, my agent and I liked the story enough to send it out to editors, but nobody bought it.
- 2019 Pannell Award Winners Announced
The Pannell jury described Hicklebee’s as “the gold standard for children’s bookselling and an extraordinary place that outdoes itself every year.”This year’s winners were chosen by a committee of publishing professionals, including Amanda Barillas, field sales children’s specialist at Macmillan; Brenda Bowen, literary
- Q & A with Margaret Peterson Haddix
She became my first agent.
- Rights Report: Week of March 25, 2019
Simon Boughton at Norton Young Readers has acquired North American rights to Feminist AF: A Guide to Crushing Girlhood by (from l.)
- Making Politics Loving Again: PW Talks with Casey McQuiston
Then I got an agent and a deal, and I didn’t want to alienate a young adult, 17-year-old reader.
- Weighing the Evidence: New True Crime 2019
Sometimes, detectives and agents are forthcoming with information, but many writers’ investigations raise as many questions as they answer.
- Blockchain for the Book Biz: The Hype vs. the Reality
The basic idea is that, instead of each publisher (or agent or content distributor) maintaining its own big, hairy rights and royalty management system, everyone would deposit transactions on a common blockchain—and those who want to get paid or grant permission simply need to look on the block