- Critical Love Theory: History, Hand Holding, and Hard Truth
My plan is to be a sleeper cell, an agent for historical accuracy.
- Book Deals: Week of September 6, 2021
The currently untitled book, which Penguin Press’s Ann Godoff acquired in a world rights agreement brokered with agent Melanie Jackson (who has an eponymous shingle), will, Penguin explained, continue the through line of events woven through Ghost Wars and then Directorate S, the second book in
- Asking the Questions: PW Talks with Kathie Lee Gifford
My literary agent, Albert Lee at UTA, was so touched by some of the stories in It’s Never Too Late about the people I’d have conversations with on a movie set or in a recording studio.
- Michael Connelly Can't Stop Chasing Leads
“With all of Michael’s success, you’d think he couldn’t fit his hat on his head, but he’s the same wonderful human being,” says Connelly’s longtime Hollywood agent, Joel Gotler.Adds his entertainment attorney, Diane Golden: “He’s the hardest working by a mile, and the most humble and lo
- Literary Agents Assess the Middle Grade Landscape
I want so much more of that and want to remind writers that agents are looking for you.
- Children's Job Moves: August 2021
Tracy Marchini has been promoted to senior literary agent, from literary agent.
- Salman Rushdie to Serialize a Novella on Substack
It will be free but, like many newsletters on Substack, have extra features for paying subscribers, including more newsletters, “personal stories” and “the stories behind the stories I’ll be telling,” and forums where Rushdie and his paying subscribers can interact.The project came about after Substack appr
- Jay Caspian Kang Explores Asian American Assimilation
“A new readiness, or level of awareness, appears to be asserting itself in facets of the story of how Asians are overlooked, agglomerated, and otherwise diminished and misunderstood in, or by, the American consciousness,” Kang’s agent, Jim Rutman, says.
- Gwen E. Kirby Makes an Uproarious Literary Debut
And Sewanee was how she met her agent, the Gernert Company’s Sarah Burnes.
- New Titles from Self-Publishers: End of August 2021
Booksellers, publishers, librarians, and agents are encouraged to look at the 99 self-published titles below.
- Book Deals: Week of August 30, 2021
The author, who did not use an agent in the deal, is a writer at the Australian newspaper, which, like HC, is owned by News Corp.
- Rights Report: Week of August 23, 2021
Andrew Karre at Dutton has acquired Salt the Water by National Book Award finalist and Printz Honoree Candice Iloh (Every Body Looking).
- Obituary: Lynn C. Franklin
Literary agent, scout, and memoirist Lynn C.
- Religion News Briefs: August 25, 2021
Kathleen Merz, who came to EBYR in 2009, has been promoted to editorial director overseeing development of all titles, including acquisitions as well as author and agent relationships.
- Terumi Echols Wants IVP to Reach the World
InterVarsity Christian Fellowship, the ministry for which IVP is a subsidiary, added “president” to the publisher title formerly held by Jeff Crosby, “because it speaks boldly to the industry, authors, agents and booksellers.