- Is Taking a Writing Sabbatical Worth the Time Away?
My agents have warned me to think hard before abandoning the day job; I’ll miss the paycheck, they say, and maybe the work, too.
- Parneros Will Seek Dismissal of Barnes & Noble Countersuit
The retailer is also seeking a judgment that would allow the company to potentially claw back more than $1 million paid to Parneros “during the period of his disloyal conduct.”But in a letter to the court last week, lawyers for Parneros contend that “as a matter of law” B&N lacks the foundat
- Meet the Judges of the 2018 BookLife Prize
In its third year, the BookLife Prize—an annual writing contest sponsored by Publishers Weekly and BookLife—received more than 900 submissions.
- New Titles from Self-Publishers: November 2018
Booksellers, publishers, librarians, and agents are encouraged to look at the 84 self-published titles below.
- Elizabeth Acevedo Wins 2018 NBA for Young People's Literature
She gave thanks to her agent, Joan Paquette, “who in 2012 let someone who had no manuscript reach out to her and say here are 10 pages of a thing that might be a thing, and kept asking what I was working on, and believed in my voice enough to keep checking in.”She also
- 2018 National Book Awards for Young People's Literature in Photos
.): editor Rosemary Brosnan; this year’s winner, Elizabeth Acevedo; and her agent, Ammi-Joan Paquette.
- Q & A with Traci Chee
For me the point of that contest was not the agent round; it was the chance to have a two-month mentorship with Renée Ahdieh.
- Shanghai Children's Book Fair Buoyed by Expanding Chinese Market
For Lerner, having a good agent in CA-Link International is important in making sure his titles are well-represented; at least 500 Lerner titles have been sold in China since 2008.
- Q & A with Dana Alison Levy
You have an interesting background—your bio reads: “house cleaner in Paris; waitress in Santorini, Greece; assistant literary agent in New York; art gallery manager; MBA fast-tracker; executive recruiter… ” Can you say more about this?
- Book Deals: Week of November 12, 2018
Dear Boy, by Jason Rosenthal and Paris Rosenthal, was acquired by Margaret Anastas from agent Amy Rennert.
- On Fathers and Daughters: PW Talks with Erin Hosier
Literary agent Hosier discusses how writing her memoir, Don’t Let Me Down (Atria, Feb. 2019), helped her work through a stormy relationship with her father.Was it tough to change hats from agent to writer?
- YA Author Sarah Dessen Moves to HarperCollins
I’ve had the same agent since 1994,” she said.
- In This Religion-Heavy Novel, The Devil Isn't the Only Evil
“When I write critically about a culture of control, I feel both connected and disconnected and I want to explore these feelings.”Sarah Chalfant, senior agent and director at the London office of the Wylie Agency, writes that she saw a partial manuscript for Women Talking in June 2016 and a
- Sharjah Grows As Deals Are Cut at Pre-Fair Publishing Conference
The 37th Sharjah International Book Fair flew in nearly 380 publishers and agents, up from roughly 200 last year, to the third largest of the United Arab Emirates for the pre-fair professional publishing conference.
- Shanghai Children’s Book Fair Looks to Capitalize on Growing Market
“We have sold at least 500 titles through our sub-agent CA-Link International since 2008,” said Kjoller, the director of rights, special sales, and international distribution.