- 'Stellaluna' Celebrates 25 Years of Flight
Since the prospect of working with an agent in person appealed to her, Cannon sent a query and then a mock-up to San Diego-area agent Sandra Dijkstra, who signed up Cannon and placed Stellaluna with Karen Weller Watson at HBJ, which at the time, said Cannon, “had not yet
- Book Deals: Week of July 9, 2018
Naggar Agency sold, is about, the agent said, “the risk of substance abuse and what it means to take control of your life and your future when it seems like the only path forward is the one that will take all of your courage.”
- Rights Report: Week of July 2, 2018
Publication is set for spring 2020; Emily Talbot at United Agents represented the author, and Claire Easton represented the illustrator.
- Spring 2018 Flying Starts: Elizabeth Lilly
Lilly says the agent told her it was the “best revision she’d ever seen.”Multiple publishers made offers.
- Spring 2018 Flying Starts: Joy McCullough
She wrote five novels before landing her first agent, despite querying each one.
- Book Deals: Week of July 2, 2018
The authors did not use an agent in the deal.
- Spring 2018 Flying Starts: Tomi Adeyemi
When her submission was accepted, she quit teaching, moved in with her boyfriend, and started writing full-time.Through Pitch Wars, Adeyemi found agents Hillary Jacobson and Alexandra Machinist of ICM Partners.
- Spring 2018 Flying Starts: Jessica Love
Parker’s agent showed Love’s book to another agent, Meredith Kaffel Simonoff, and a match was made.
- Spring 2018 Flying Starts: Anat Deracine
She says that because “the book was in my head and wouldn’t let go,” she took time off from work and wrote the first draft in a month, initially writing in third person because she found writing in first person a stretch.Deracine attended a Writer’s Digest conference and pitched the story to
- Publishing Mentorship Program Focuses on Representation
“This was a lot like that.”Another alum, Wendolyne Sabrozo, who recently transitioned from a job at Atria Books to an assistantship to agent Johanna V.
- Writers to Watch Fall 2018: Anticipated Debuts
“One agent interested in the book wanted me to rewrite it to be about Dennis.
- The Rise of Indie Audiobooks: An Interview with Scott Brick
He has a series about a guy of a suspect past who is also an agent for good—he tries to help people who can’t help themselves.
- Licensing Hotline: June 2018
Licensing agent Moxie & Co. granted rights for the Magnolia Bakery brand to HarperDesign for a cookbook and for the Hello Lucky art brand to Scholastic for a prompted activity journal about kindness....
- Religion Book Deals: June 27, 2018
Illustrators for both books are to be announced, and Hendey didn't use an agent.
- New Titles from Self-Publishers: June 2018
Booksellers, publishers, librarians, and agents are encouraged to look at the 85 self-published titles below.