- Fall 2019 Flying Starts: Julia Drake
Creating a tiered list, she sent queries to a small number of agents.
- Memoir, Uninterrupted
If an author has a strong platform and a compelling voice, agents and editors can get very excited about his or her memoir.
- New Titles from Self-Publishers
Booksellers, publishers, librarians, and agents are encouraged to look at the 55 self-published titles below.
- Fall 2019 Flying Starts: Brittney Morris
Slay received overwhelming #PitMad attention, and from there, Morris queried some agents who had expressed interest, as well as a short list of dream agents that included Quressa Robinson at the Nelson Literary Agency.
- The Economic Hardship Reporting Project Gives Writers a Hand
The experience inspired her to write her memoir; she quickly found an agent, who will be shopping around a proposal after the holidays.PW spoke with a dozen writers about EHRP, including Lori Yearwood, who provided the most poignant testimonial about its impact.
- A Memoir That Serves as a Playbook for Your 20s
., according to her agent there, and has sold in 21 territories to date, including the U.S.
- Author John Bragg Wins the 2019 BookLife Prize Fiction Contest
I have submitted to agents in the past with no success.
- Licensing Hotline: December 2019
Random House Expands with Films, Nick Jr.
- Noteworthy YA Trilogies Get Finales This Season
Writing a multi-book series is a bit like trying to get your arms around an elephant: even if and when you succeed, you feel like you have been stretched to the breaking point.
- RBmedia Names New Publisher of ChristianAudio
In her new role, Dobson is responsible for acquiring all content for ChristianAudio, managing relationships with partner publishers, agents, and authors in the Christian market, and overseeing ways to grow the brand.
- Rights Report: Week of December 16, 2019
Publication is slated for September 2020; Liza Voges at Eden Street represented the authors, and the artist represented himself.Alex Borbolla at Atheneum has acquired world rights to Kira Bigwood's (l.) debut picture book Secret, Secret Agent Guy.
- ALA Midwinter 2020: The Top 10 Library Stories of 2019
In an earlier memo to authors and agents, Sargent claimed that 45% of the company’s “digital reads” were through libraries—a new and still unexplained statistic.
- Born of Friendship, the Book Group Is Making Its Mark as an Agency
The eight women who work at Book Group (four principals, one senior agent, one agent, and two assistants) seem different.
- Book Deals: Week of December 16, 2019
The new book, the agent continued, “will look at how this deeply ingrained ideal of American self-reliance and do-it-yourself grit has helped to both mask and perpetuate the wealth gap in this country, and what we can do to address it.”
- New Agency Promotes African Writers for Youth
What Accord will do is reach out directly to authors who don’t have agents, authors who are working on ideas and need help to shape them.