- CHINA DAWN: The Story of a Technology and Business Revolution
Sheff smartly juxtaposes their story with detailed descriptions of the effect of the Internet on Mainland life, including its pivotal role in shaping Chinese public opinion about the U.S.
- The Zen of Fish: The Story of Sushi, from Samurai to Supermarket
Alternating between the cuisine's history and the key steps in a sushi chef's education, Corson puts the reader in the thick of things à la Michael Ruhlman's Making of a Chef , detailing the laborious process of making rice, the preparation of a myriad of fish and the storied
- The Road of Lost Innocence: The True Story of a Cambodian Heroine
“Grandfather” beats and abuses the nine-year-old Mam and sells her virginity to a Chinese merchant to cover a gambling debt.
- HUNTING DOWN SADDAM: The Inside Story of the Search and Capture
The grand finale is, of course, Saddam's capture in a "spiderhole" outside Tikrit, where the story had to end in order to meet the publication deadline.
- LI'L DAN, THE DRUMMER BOY: A Civil War Story
A CD of Maya Angelou's reading (tucked into the back cover) is an added bonus.
- Soap Opera:: The Inside Story of Proctor & Gamble
Other horror stories include the use of animals in lab tests; the firm's retaliation against those who protested its pollution of the Fenholloway River in Florida and discussion of P&G's involvement in the politics of El Salvador.
- Dear Girls Above Me: Inspired by a True Story
McDowell tells the story behind his popular twitter feed where he shares the inane conversations he overhears from the two vapid "Kardashian wannabes" that live in the apartment upstairs.
- The Tulip: The Story of a Flower That Has Made Men Mad
Lastly, the sumptuous illustrations covering five centuries of tulip-inspired art and artifacts will dazzle browsers and botanists alike.
- MOB: Stories of Death and Betrayal from Organized Crime
Pistone's book about his shadowy life deep under cover as Donnie Brasco; instructions on administering a hit from the 1973 autobiography Killer, by "Joey," written with David Fisher; and a selection from Pileggi's Casino.
- THE CAT FROM HUE: A Vietnam War Story
Laurence and his crew specialized in covering the war up close, and he saw more than his share of action.
- A VOICE FROM THE WILDERNESS: The Story of Anna Howard Shaw
A concluding author's note fleshes out Shaw's story, while—ironically—emphasizing certain events more than those covered in the chronicle.
- Spirit of Endurance: The True Story of the Shackleton Expedition to the Antarctic
Their imaginations stirred, many readers will want to tackle her earlier volume for more of the story.
- Nankering with the Rolling Stones: The Untold Story of the Early Days
Mostly a series of snickering anecdotes, this "untold story" is far from definitive or shocking.
- Modoc: The True Story of the Greatest Elephant That Ever Lived
Still, sentimentalists and animal lovers should flock to this story.
- HATE CRIME: The Story of a Dragging in Jasper, Texas
Suspecting that she's assigned the story only because she's black, King arrives in Jasper fearful and doubting her journalistic objectivity.