- Trappings: Stories of Women, Power, and Clothing
Many testimonies cover life journeys and important events, forming short but satisfying narratives (some of which are deepened by multiple interviews over time).
- Fall and Rise: The Story of 9/11
The result is a superb, harrowing retelling of this most dramatic of stories.
- Women of Futures Past: Classic Stories
Veteran editor Rusch assembles a wholly engaging and varied anthology of speculative tales covering the depth of the genre and spanning its history.
- Short-Tempered Melancholic and Other Stories
The title story follows Kaijika, a ninja girl.
- Dead Ends: B.C. Crime Stories
Capturing the gist of each true crime story, Willcocks also reveals a "great deal about the rest of us, and the society we live in."
- Amanuta’s Coming-of-Age Story
The fictional stories references real iconography, animals, and plants.
- The Day After Roswell: A Former Pentagon Official Reveals the U.S. Government's Shocking UFO Cover-Up
His claims are so outlandish, though, that the many readers he's going to attract likely will have difficulty discerning whether they are reading a hoax, ravings or the biggest story of the century.
- The Best American Mystery Stories 2013
The plots and settings are more varied than a reader might expect, but what surprises is how literary many of these stories are, like the opening entry, "Smothered and Covered," by Tom Barlow, about a down-and-out guy who sees a young girl just before her mysterious death
- Telling Stories to Children
“You need to have some movement in the story and in the illustrations as well,” Kearns says.
- Cover Reveal: 'Nicky & Vera: A Quiet Hero of the Holocaust and the Children He Rescued' by Peter Sís
In a PW exclusive, the cover of Sís’s new book, due out next January from Norton Young Readers, is revealed here for the first time.Nicky & Vera alternates between the story of Nicholas Winton and the story of Vera Gissing, one of the children Winton rescued.
- Texas Bound: 19 Texas Stories
Not unlike the Lone Star state itself, the 19 short stories here cover a wide range of territory in terms of style, subject matter and setting.
- Sonny Liston Was a Friend of Mine: Stories
Other stories feature a hypochondriac layabout son tormenting his dying mother ("40, Still at Home"); an ambitious but clearly insane assistant principal who keeps a live deadly spider on his desk ("Tarantula"); a Viet Nam vet who endures his harrowing memories of atrocities by
- Freedom's Daughters: A Juneteenth Story
Boosted by the inspiring cover image, vigorous targeting to both markets could result in admirable sales.
- Anonymous Rex: A Detective Story
You might not believe any of this 30 seconds after you close the covers, and at odd moments the narrative veers into shtick, but while it's going on you're mostly going to be dazzled by Garcia's energy and chutzpah.
- Sapp Attack: My Story
With his outsized personality, Sapp, a former defensive star with the NFL’s Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Oakland Raiders, assisted by David Fisher, pulls the covers off the professional gridiron league in this blunt memoir with gleeful tidbits about the greats of the game he loved.