- Earth, Water, and Sky: A Naturalist's Stories and Sketches
Not stories after all but brief, accessible essays, these instructive writings by ornithologist Johnsgard (a professor at the University of Nebraska) cover the lives, behaviors and habitats of many North American birds, from "The Tree Quail of Mexico" to "The Elusive Musk Duck."
- LI'L DAN, THE DRUMMER BOY: A Civil War Story
A CD of Maya Angelou's reading (tucked into the back cover) is an added bonus.
- HUNTING DOWN SADDAM: The Inside Story of the Search and Capture
The grand finale is, of course, Saddam's capture in a "spiderhole" outside Tikrit, where the story had to end in order to meet the publication deadline.
- Soap Opera:: The Inside Story of Proctor & Gamble
Other horror stories include the use of animals in lab tests; the firm's retaliation against those who protested its pollution of the Fenholloway River in Florida and discussion of P&G's involvement in the politics of El Salvador.
- The Tulip: The Story of a Flower That Has Made Men Mad
Lastly, the sumptuous illustrations covering five centuries of tulip-inspired art and artifacts will dazzle browsers and botanists alike.
- Dear Girls Above Me: Inspired by a True Story
McDowell tells the story behind his popular twitter feed where he shares the inane conversations he overhears from the two vapid "Kardashian wannabes" that live in the apartment upstairs.
- STORIED STADIUMS: Baseball's History Through Its Ballparks
The book, while overlong, feels cramped and at times rushed because Smith attempts to cover the entire history of baseball.
- WAR STORIES: Reporting in the Time of Conflict from the Crimea to Iraq
The Story," where Evans quotes President Kennedy, after the Bay of Pigs fiasco: "Every newspaper now asks itself with respect to every story: 'Is it news?'
- Whitewash: The Story of a Weed Killer, Cancer, and the Corruption of Science
Gillam expertly covers a contentious front where corporate malfeasance intersects with issues of public health and ecology.
- Telling Stories: The Comic Art of Frank Frazetta
Everyone knows Frazetta’s story, right?
- PubTech Connect 2018: New Stories, New Platforms
It’s chat fiction, short stories presented entirely as text messages.
- Other People's Money: The Inside Story of the Sandl Mess
Accusing the Federal Home Loan Bank Board of an extensive cover-up of such shenanigans, Pilzer and Deitz sensibly call for reform of the savings deposit system, repayment of stolen savings to investors and incentives to restore our confidence in the virtue of thrift.
- The Making of McPaper: The Inside Story of USA Today
In this history, Prichard, a USA Today staffer, covers the planning sessions for the Gannett-chain paper, evidently based largely on corporate president Allen Neuharth's successful launch of a paper in the Cape Kennedy area; the role of Neuharth in driving the project to reality; the probl
- Hollywood on the Riviera: The Inside Story of the Cannes Film Festival
The selection and judging of individual films, as well as some of the more earth-shaking deals and legendary romances consummated at Cannes, are covered in detail.
- Clothbound: Iconic Fabric Design - Stories of a Handmade Process
Each copy of this cloth-bound book is covered in Paterson’s two favorite designs, cut from cloth dyed the way she prefers—by hand.