- Helluva Town: The Story of New York City During World War II
But the story's New Yorkness doesn't resonate from the grand logistics or the war stories—wan spy capers, the accidental shelling of Wall Street, the bomber that crashed into the Empire State Building—with which Times -man Goldstein (America at D-Day ) bombards us.
- Detective: The Inspirational Story of the Trailblazing Woman Cop Who Wouldn't Quit
Burke applied to become an officer in 1968 and soon found her niche working under cover.
- In the Kitchen with a Good Appetite: 150 Recipes and Stories About the Food You Love
Her trademark unassuming writing style, genuine love of food, and wealth of recipes, which cover chicken and meat, cheese, sandwiches, and desserts, are an incredible treat for foodies everywhere.
- How Night Came from the Sea: A Story from Brazil
When a daughter of African goddess Iemanja leaves her ocean home to marry ``a son of the earth people,'' she sorely misses the cool cover of darkness, the shady mantle of dusk.
- Midnight in Chernobyl: The Untold Story of the World's Greatest Nuclear Disaster
He devotes dense chapters to the West’s reaction, the elaborate cleanup, and the even more complex Soviet cover-up, but fails to provide a deep and clear understanding of the human error and heroism that are at the heart of this story.
- The Tortoise and the Soldier: A Story of Courage and Friendship in World War I
Based on actual events, the story is told in dual flashbacks.
- Courage & Defiance: Stories of Spies, Saboteurs, and Survivors in World War II Denmark: Stories of Spies, Saboteurs, and Survivors in World War II Den
Utilizing interviews and extensive documentation, Hopkinson (Titanic: Voices From the Disaster) reconstructs the stories of those who lived duringâand fought againstâthe Nazi occupation of Denmark.
- Forward into Fall: Fiction/General & Short Stories
Hamilton is a short-story collection that includes one never before published.
- Trade Paperbacks: Fiction/General & Short Stories to History
Tell Me: 30 Stories (Oct., $16) by Mary Robison collects stories written over 25 years. 25,000 first printing.
- Ben-Gurion's Spy: The Story of the Political Scandal That Shaped Modern Israel
The speeds on this tale of political cover-up in Israel are those of a dying blender: slow, slower and grinding to a halt.
- Serial Killers of the 70s: Stories Behind a Notorious Decade of Death
True crime buffs will look forward to Fritsch’s sequel covering the 1980s.
- The Fallen: A True Story of American POWs and Japanese Wartime Atrocities
It's a gripping story, but Landas's treatment doesn't do it justice.
- Canadian Publishing 2017: Celebrating the Story of Canada
Also, the Canada Council caused much consternation this year when it replaced 140 grant categories with six broad ones, covering such areas as projects, organizations, professional development, and travel.
- Fall 2011 Announcements: Memoir: Tell Me a Story
Harrison's account, Missing, covers the frantic 40 days of searching until her mother's body was found and the emotional searching that followed.
- BEA Show Daily 2011: Dava Sobel: Bringing Copernicus's Story to Life
The reporters covering science were tucked away behind the sports section, she recalls.