- Publishers are Increasing Accessibility to Content
PW reports the piece received about 1,400 pageviews—more than double that of the average number of views that week.Apparently a lot of people are interested in knowing how to get alt text right!
- Rights Report: Week of January 17, 2022
Publication is planned for fall 2022; Steven Malk at Writers House brokered the deal for U.S. rights.
- Literati Acquires Follett Book Fairs
Ewing cited the PW article about the closing of the fairs and the circulation of a Change.org petition to “save Follett Book Fairs” as inspiration for her initial interest in acquiring the business.The time could be right for Literati to enter the book fair business; market leader Scholastic recent
- Fernanda Melchior's Mexico Is No 'Paradais'
Its reputation built over time, and North American rights were bought by New Directions in a two-book deal in 2018—the same year it sold to Fitzcarraldo in the U.K.
- New Kids' and YA Books: Week of January 17, 2022
When the narrator is assigned to write a class report on a “trailblazing woman” and picks Betty White, the response is underwhelming, but the boy persists and researches the life of the late actor and animal activist who has “had the longest career in the history of television.”
- Deborah Cohen's New Book Is History in the Making
“I wanted you to feel like you were right there with them.
- Barnes & Noble Unveils Union Square & Company
Wachtel, who will report to Meehan, will acquire eight to 10 titles annually.
- Rights Report: Week of January 10, 2022
Jamie Vankirk at Rainbow Nerds Literary did the six-figure deal for world rights.
- Rights Report: Week of January 3, 2022
Jen Adams at Sounds True has bought world rights to Forest Bath Right Down This Path by Lisa Robinson (l.), illustrated by Khoa Le.
- The Publishing Industry is Still Waiting for the New Normal
(The Association of American Publishers reported that, for the first time, online sales accounted for about 50% of trade sales in 2020.)To the relief of many publishers, Barnes & Noble in particular saw a return to form.
- Book Deals: Week of January 3, 2022
DEAL OF THE WEEKSourcebooks Nabs Legrand’s TrilogyIn a three-book, world rights agreement, Annie Berger at Sourcebooks Casablanca bought world rights to Claire Legrand’s The Middlemist trilogy.
- Hochul Vetoes New York's Library E-book Bill
This is a powerful moment for libraries," concluded a December, 2020 report on digital lending from the ALA's Joint Digital Content Working Group.
- Rights Report: Week of December 20, 2021
Alexa Pastor at Atheneum has acquired world rights to Where Is Poppy?
- A Latin American Tragedy: PW Talks with William Neuman
My reporting tells me that the Biden administration basically has no interest, really, in changing Venezuelan policy in any substantial way.
- How Faith-Based Books Are Making Spirits Brighter
He presents seven characteristics of contemplative living, including longing, playfulness, and patience.Traditional books on prayer include Worried About Everything Because I Pray About Nothing (Bethany, Aug.) by Chad Veach, a pastor who explains what prayer looks like in day-to-day life, and Prayer