- Taipei 2019: The Fair Opens Amid a Stable Market and an Expanding Kids’s Segment
Last year, the biggest seller at Eslite, Taiwan’s biggest chain bookstore, was Dan Brown’s Origin while over at online powerhouse books.com.tw, David Cho’s New TOIEC Vocabulary ruled the chart.
- PNBA 2019: Kids' Books and Authors Contribute to Energetic Show
First-time attendee Randy Lotowycz, director of marketing and sales at Algonquin, described the show floor as “very busy.”
- AAP Monthly StatShot: April
As a result, though total gross sales fell 16% in April compared to April 2019, that decline was largely offset by a nearly 49% drop in returns.
- Digital Subscription Is Booming in Sweden. Is It Sustainable?
But not in this case.The report also showed that sales at Sweden’s bricks-and-mortar bookstores declined 4.4% in 2019.
- Pandemic Success Highlights Rockridge Press’s Data-Driven Strategy
“You’re never losing sight of who you’re writing the books for.”Before the pandemic hit, Rockridge’s sales were split evenly between e-commerce and retail channels, including trade bookstores, specialty stores, mass retailers, and wholesale clubs.
- For Publishers, It's Still the Calm Before the Storm
E-book sales at S&S were up 13% in the quarter and were running 25%–50% over 2019 since the end of the quarter, Reidy said.
- Equity Firm Agrees to Buy B&N
As a place in which to choose a book, and for the sheer pleasure of visiting, we know that a good bookstore has no equal.”The acquisition by Elliott follows a sales process that B&N began last October, after it was disclosed that a deal with the U.K. bookstore chai
- HC Teams with Ingram to Resupply Western States
Separately, HC said it will also repeat its Holiday Express Shipping program for independent bookstores in the U.S. from October 28, 2019, through January 10, 2020.
- Christian Retailers Offer a Status Update Amid Covid-19
Of the bookstores that can operate in a limited fashion, 73% said they are offering curbside pickup, 45% have limited hours, and 38% are making home deliveries.Even with taking unusual steps to generate sales, 171 store owners reported steep sales declines in both March and
- 'Testaments' Off To Recordbreaing Start
The publisher noted that the performance of the novel, which is Margaret Atwood's sequel to her 1985 bestseller The Handmaid's Tale, makes it the "best day one sales for any Penguin Random House title in 2019."
- Elliott Completes Purchase of B&N
Comparable store sales fell 1.9% in the year, led by a 3.9% decline in comparable bookstore sales.
- A Unique Literary Festival Grows
“The festival has definitely helped our business,” Thomas said, noting that November 9–10 marked the opening of the 2019 deer-hunting season, which may have further contributed to the spike in sales.
- Children/YA Bright Spot In Soft August
Census Bureau that showed a 10.3% decline in August bookstore sales compared to 2018.
- Some Big Publishers Find Ways to Cope
While print sales fell in the period, digital sales soared, up 44% over the second quarter of 2019, led by a 51% jump in e-book sales and a 34% increase in sales of digital audiobooks, S&S CEO Jonathan Karp told PW.
- Can Christian Publishing Live Without LifeWay?
Bob Munce, president of Munce Marketing Group and the newly formed Christian Retail Association, said that “stores that are near a LifeWay are bracing for the prolonged effect of a going-out-of-business sale through the 2019 holiday season,” adding, “Christian bookstores need a survival