- 2019 SCBWI Conference: Agents and Editors Give Advice
She said bookstores and libraries are still key, including a crop of new independent bookstores.
- BookExpo 2019: Show Caters to Many Audiences
Among the publishers distributed by Consortium is City Lights, which also runs its eponymous bookstore.
- Campus Tours: New Travel Books 2019
It includes updated historical research, as well as a redesign that incorporates blueprints of each lighthouse and watercolor maps.With so much high-quality photography and design dominating travel media, Church says, a lot of attention went into the books’ visuals in order to compete for sales at
- Children’s Publishers Choose Their Favorite Reads of 2019
Brittany Lowe, sales coordinator, Special Markets, ScholasticI cannot express how much I loved Mommy’s Khimar, a picture book by Jamilah Thompkins-Bigelow, illustrated by Ebony Glenn.
- School & Library Spotlight Fall 2019: Indies Support Title 1 Schools
Unlike many school author visits, where books are offered for sale after the event, Tally persuaded the school to instead use Title 1 funds to purchase a copy of the book for every student.The results were galvanizing.
- Booksellers Look to Curbside Pickup and Online Sales, Not In-Store Customers
Online sales continue to be an option, and have increased.”Categories of books that sold best last month were fiction, cookbooks, and children’s books, but compared with April 2019, sales were largely down at the indies contacted.
- An Olympian Effort: Travel Books 2019–2020
“Our travel publishing program has definitely been ramped up for the Olympics,” says Christopher Johns, sales and marketing director at Tuttle, which specializes in Asia-focused titles.
- BookExpo 2019: Talking with Cindy Heidemann, PW’s Rep of the Year
“Before, I don’t think bookstores would have sent orders on the weekend.
- B&N Posted Loss of $125 Million on 6% Sales Drop in FY '18
“Our plan, which includes sales improvements and cost reductions,” Parneros said, “is expected to yield immediate improvement in fiscal 2019, resulting in EBITDA of $175 million to $200 million.”
- Beyond Drag Queen Story Hour: LGBTQ Books 2019
(For our q&a with Sanders, see “Building a Movement.”)Sabrina Montenigro, the Carle’s assistant shop manager, says the bookstore has seen higher sales of LGBTQ-related books because of the exhibit and the retail display, both of which she says show readers “that the Carle values qu
- Holiday Gift Guide 2019: Illustrated Books
Art & PhotographyBeauty—and art—are in the eye of the beholder, who is sure to find at least one gem among this stunning selection.Dora MaarEdited by Damarice Amao, Amanda Maddox, and Karolina Ziebinska-Lewandowska (J.
- One Book, One New York Announces All-Women 2019 Shortlist
The books will also be available for sale at bookstores throughout the city.
- 2019 Fiction Readers Summit Elevates Authors: A Photo Essay
Baker Book’s gross fiction sales, which typically average $142 on a Friday night, totaled $3,259 for the night—a nearly 2,200% increase.
- Heartland Fall Forum 2019: It's All About Children's Books and Authors
“Only Indiana stores can truly understand the significance and sales potential of this.
- New Kids' and YA Books: Week of November 11, 2019
For more children’s and YA titles on sale throughout the month of November, check out PW’s full On-Sale Calendar.