- Fiction Reviews: Week of 9/10/2007
Aaron stays with his aunt Kitty, who makes a living rewriting the classics (her version of Oliver Twist features lots of repentance), but Aaron’s wallow in self-pity is interrupted by a lost pig that attaches itself to him.
- Fiction Reviews: Week of 7/30/2007
If You Liked School, You'll Love Work Irvine Welsh.
- Audio Reviews: Week of 7/30/2007
This is appropriate, since, after all, Carpenter is supposed to be the one telling us this witty, well-plotted, highly entertaining shaggy dog story.
Ever cheery, never self-pitying, her memoir is by turns insipid and sweet.
- Web-Exclusive Reviews: Week of 6/18/2007
"Do you see your work as a job, a career, or a calling?")
- Fiction Reviews: Week of 5/21/2007
Can't you understand that?
- Children's Book Reviews: Week of 5/14/2007
Instead, a cornucopia of colorful insects dominates the scene.
- Children's Book Reviews: Week of 4/2/2007
Roll up the rug before you read this book aloud—it will get everyone up and dancing.
- Fiction Reviews: Week of 2/12/2007
The band's fate is sealed when Anna suddenly and mysteriously dies three months after comeback single "Love Will Cut You Like a Knife" flops.
- Fiction Reviews: 12/18/2006
The woman, Annie, who fled Vietnam as a child, also discreetly watches Mike when not servicing clients like Donald Goetzler, a haunted Vietnam vet who uses Annie's high-priced attentions to quell his tortured psyche.
- Children's Book Reviews: Week of 12/11/2006
But Cleveland's dreams are dashed when his coach announces that the league's white teams had refused to play their team and instead had formed their own whites-only tournament.
- Fiction Review: Week of 11/20/2006
The Life You Longed For Maribeth Fischer.
- Fiction Reviews: Week of 11/13/2006
Norman (The Bird Artist) uses the avian world as a counterpoint to the human one.
- Fiction Reviews: Week of 10/9/2006
Kockroach, however, doesn't lapse into despair, but instead demonstrates the relentless survival instinct of his species by learning how to get by in the human world.
- Fiction Reviews: Week of 10/2/2006
If You Lived HereDana Sachs, Morrow, $24.95 (336p) ISBN 978-0-06-113048-9 Sachs revisits in her fiction debut many of the themes she explored in A House on Dream Street, her memoir about living in Vietnam in