- The Marauders: Conspiracy Theories, Militias, and Violence on the U.S. Border
spotlights in this vivid, character-driven report one Arizona town’s efforts to fight back against “a flood of extremely dangerous, virulently racist, and heavily armed outsiders” who have flocked to the U.S. border with Mexico in recent years.
- Rights Report: Week of October 25, 2021
Melanie Kroupa at Rubin Pfeffer Content negotiated world rights for the author, and the illustrator negotiated world rights, excluding Farsi.
- That's Betty!: The Story of Betty White
When the narrator is assigned to write a class report on a “trailblazing woman” and picks Betty White (b. 1922), the response is somewhat underwhelming: both his teacher and one of his fathers suggest that the black-haired, brown-skinned child pick someone “more traditional.”
- Gish Jen's Tales of Home and Away
When he falls for an older student, a report is written and she vanishes, only to surprise him later with an offering that changes his life.
- Mystery Revisited: PW Talks with David Bushman and Mark T. Givens
First, there was digging out the extensive reporting done on the case at the time.
- Mitzi Angel Named President, Publisher at FSG
Galassi will report to both Angel and Weisberg.
- Q & A with Rob Sanders
Peaceful Fights for Equal Rights came out in 2018.
- The Young Hero's Journey: Spotlight on Lance Lee
Getting that right required striking a unique tonal balance.
- DiCamillo, Blackall, and Patchett Discuss Life, Courage, and 'The Beatryce Prophecy'
“That is a real thing that happens,” Patchett reported.
- Rights Report: Week of October 18, 2021
Erin Murphy at Erin Murphy Literary did the deal for world English rights.
- Book Deals: Week of October 18, 2021
Beauty and the Beast, Avery said, is “a deeply reported look at the history of the female ideal and origins of ‘skinny.’ ” It “offers a road map for women to build—rather than diminish—themselves.”
- Another Pandemic Surprise: A Mini Indie Bookstore Boom
“We are now cautiously looking at new store sites in the Northeast, if the rent is right,” said CEO Dane Neller.
- Rights Report: Week of October 11, 2021
Naggar Literary Agency negotiated the two-book deal for North American rights.
- Sharjah Book Fair to Feature Nobel Prize-Winner, 1,500 Publishers
Egypt will have the largest constituency, with 293 publishing houses represented, reported The National.
- Tom Bissell’s Art of the Periphery
“Most of these stories—I weirdly reported them,” he says.