- Religion and Spirituality Books Preview: June 2017
FictionJune 6Bread of Angels by Tessa Afshar (Tyndale, $22.99 paper, ISBN 978-1-4964-2310-8) follows Lydia, a prominent merchant in 50 AD Greece who turns to the apostle Paul after a betrayal, becoming the first European to convert Christianity.Love Story by Karen Kingsbury (Howard B
- PW: Children's Books for Spring
Board Book by Jane Simmons ($5.95 each).
- Spring/Summer Religion Books cont...
SERVANT BOOKS Charismatic Spirituality (Mar., $10.99 paper) by Stephen B.
- PW: Spring 2001 Children's Books
: Animals with Super Hearing by Caroline Arnold, illus. by Cathy Trachok, a book about animals' amazing abilities; and Come Out and Play by Maya Ajmera and John Ivanko, a photo-illustrated book about how children around the world play.CHARLESBRIDGE/TALEWINDSTalewinds lights up the se
- Children's Books: Spring 2005 Sneak Previews
Stroller Books, rhyming books that attach to a stroller; and SeeMoreReaders: Giant Bugs by Seymour Simon, a nonfiction early reader.
- Love Is . . .
Halperin combines Paul's words (from I Corinthians 13) with an intricate mosaic of watercolor-and-pencil vignettes "to create a memorable, thoughtful picture book," wrote PW in a starred review.
- LORD, GIVE ME A HEART FOR YOU: A Devotional Study on Having a Passion for God
Arthur effectively connects readers to the Corinthian church, comparing the Corinthians' struggles with modern-day trials.
- John the Posthumous
An explication of Corinthians and its variations in different Bible versions, etymologies of words derived from the names of birds, and a history of the American bed can all be found in Schwartz's second (after A German Picturesque) book.
- Obituary: Bob Hugo, Spirit of '76 Bookstore Founder
After years of expansion, he acquired a second store, Newburyport's the Book Rack, in 1988.
- LIVING YOUR STRENGTHS: Discover Your God-given Talents and Inspire Your Community
The authors' "theology of strengths" refers to Paul's sermon on "the body of Christ" (1 Corinthians) and Christ's parable of the talents, among other biblical passages.
- Hearing Jesus Speak into Your Sorrow
Chapters end with paraphrased versions of Jesus' words, with discussion questions at the end of the book.
- You Were Made for Love: Embracing the Life You Were Meant to Live
Evangelicals from every camp will find comfort in this book, and be sparked to revive their faith after reading it.
- What Jane Austen Taught Me About Love and Romance
Smith, the bestselling author of the Jane Austen series (contemporary faith fiction novels based on Austen's books) works hard to show how Austen's themes parallel scriptural imperatives about love, particularly 1 Corinthians 13:4–8.
- Hearing Jesus Speak Into Your Sorrow
\x94 Chapters end with paraphrased versions of Jesus' words, with discussion questions at the end of the book.
- Unclobber: Rethinking Our Misuse of the Bible on Homosexuality
He refutes Bible verses ignorantly wielded to clobber LGBTQ people: Genesis 19, Leviticus 18:22 and 20:13, Romans 1:26-27, 1 Corinthians 6:9, and 1 Timothy 1:10.