In honor of the many students who are graduating this spring without the pomp and circumstance of a live ceremony, and the 30th anniversary of Dr. Seuss’s inspirational picture book Oh, the Places You’ll Go!, Random House Children’s Books and Dr. Seuss Enterprises are launching a nationwide virtual celebration tomorrow, May 1. Professional wrestler, actor, and picture book author John Cena and astronaut Scott Kelly will kick off the festivities with readings and speeches on the Dr. Seuss Facebook page.
Kelly said in a statement, “It is an honor to join the Oh, the Places You’ll Go! campaign to recognize graduates across the country, who are beginning their journey of discovery and achievement.”
Throughout the month of May, additional participants will join the party, including educators, first responders, celebrities, authors, and illustrators. There will also be a charitable component: for every graduation photo posted on social media using the hashtag #ohtheplaces2020 and tagging three friends, RHCB and Dr. Seuss Enterprises will donate one book to First Book, up to 20,020. First Book will distribute donations to classroom libraries in the fall, in commemoration of educators.
- In collaboration with Penguin Random House Audio/Listening Library, the campaign will showcase inspirational quotes from Oh, the Places You’ll Go! on social media, read by actor John Lithgow.
- Seussville.com is featuring activities for hosting graduation parties at home.
- Business leaders and career experts will share reflections on Oh, the Places You’ll Go! with new college graduates on Linkedin.
- In November, Random House Children’s Books will release a new Oh, the Places You’ll Go! coloring book for all ages.
- Dr. Seuss Enterprises will offer other tie-in merchandise, including a Build-A-Bear; party supplies and stationery from Oriental Trading Company; Mantraband bracelets; drinkware from Tervis; and scarves and socks from Elope.