The suspense about who dies in the final Harry Potter may be over, but Kathy Reichs, Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child are back with other thrills for grownups. In children's, there are not one but two million-copy first printings, for Stephenie Meyer's latest vampire novel, and for the novelization of the much-anticipated High School Musical 2.
| AUGUST 1 |* Puff, the Magic Dragon by Peter Yarrow and Lenny Lipton, illus. by Eric Puybaret (Sterling, $16.95). 337,000 copies.* Fairy Haven and the Quest for the Wand by Gail Carson Levine, illus. by David Christiana (Disney Press, $17.99). 200,000 copies.Here If You Need Me: A True Story by Kate Braestrup (Little, Brown, $23.99). 175,000 copies.* Stellaluna (board book) by Janell Cannon (Harcourt/Red Wagon, $7.95). 100,000 copies.| AUGUST 2 |
Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict by Laurie Viera Rigler (Dutton, $24.95).
| AUGUST 7 |
* Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer (Little, Brown/Tingley, $18.99). 1 million copies.
* Disney High School Musical 2: The Junior Novel by N.B. Grace (Disney Press, $4.99). 1 million copies.
* Disney High School Musical: East High Yearbook by Emma Harrison (Disney Press, $10.99). 300,000 copies.
Critical by Robin Cook (Putnam, $25.95). 300,000 copies.
Heaven Is Real: Lessons on Earthly Joy—From the Man Who Spent 90 Minutes in Heaven by Don Piper and Cecil Murphey (Berkley Praise, $21.95). 250,000 copies.
Burnt House by Faye Kellerman (Morrow, $25.95). 250,000 copies.
Devil May Cry by Sherrilyn Kenyon (St. Martin's, $19.95). 250,000 copies.
Sandworms of Dune by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson (Tor, $27.95). 250,000 copies.
You Can Run but You Can't Hide: The Life and Times of Dog the Bounty Hunter by Duane “Dog” Chapman (Hyperion, $25.95). 200,000 copies.
Power Play by Joseph Finder (St. Martin's, $24.95). 200,000 copies.
Spook Country by William Gibson (Putnam, $25.95). 175,000 copies.
The Rest of Her Life by Laura Moriarty (Hyperion, $24.95). 150,000 copies.
The Scandal of the Season by Sophie Gee (Scribner, $25). 100,000 copies.
* Monster Halloween Party by Laura Driscoll (Simon Spotlight, $6.99). 100,000 copies.
Only Connect: The Way to Save Our Schools by Rudy Crew with Thomas Dyja (FSG/Crichton, $23). 75,000 copies.
Loving Frank by Nancy Horan (Ballantine, $23.95).
| AUGUST 14 |
Play Dirty by Sandra Brown (Simon & Schuster, $26.95). 400,000 copies.
* Love, Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli (Knopf, $16.99). 250,000 copies.
Hard Call: Great Decisions and the Extraordinary People Who Made Them by John McCain with Mark Salter (Twelve, $25.99). 230,000 copies.
* Disney Bedtime Favorites Storybook Collection (Disney Press, $15.99). 225,000 copies.
* Disney Princess: Happily Ever After Stories Storybook Collection (Disney Press, $15.99). 225,000 copies.
* Disney/Pixar Cars Storybook & CD (Disney Press, $12.99). 150,000 copies.
* Disney Princess: Enchanted Stables by Lara Bergen (Disney Press, $14.99). 125,000 copies.
* X-Men Pop-Up by Marvel Characters Inc., ed. by Caroline Repchuk, design and paper engineering by Andy Mansfield (Candlewick, $24.99). 100,000 copies.
* Disney Princess: The Enchanted Castle Pop-Up by Kitty Richards (Disney Press, $12.99). 100,000 copies.
* Mickey Mouse Clubhouse: 5+1 Makes More Fun by Sheila Sweeny Higginson (Disney Press, $12.99) 100,000 copies.
* What's Wrong, Little Pookie? by Sandra Boynton (Random/Robin Corey, $5.99). 100,000 copies.
Force of Nature by Suzanne Brockmann (Ballantine, $21.95).
| AUGUST 15 |
* Power Rangers: Operation Overdrive Adventure (Disney Press, $12.99). 125,000 copies.
| AUGUST 21 |
* Baby Bear, Baby Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr., illus. by Eric Carle (Holt, $16.95). 500,000 copies.
* Diary of a Fly by Doreen Cronin, illus. by Harry Bliss (HarperCollins/Cotler, $16.99). 300,000 copies.
* The Land of the Silver Apples by Nancy Farmer (Atheneum/Jackson, $18.99). 150,000 copies.
* Pirates of the Caribbean: The Secret Files of the East India Trading Company by Sir Thomas Faye (Disney Press, $19.99). 150,000 copies.
* Jinx by Meg Cabot (HarperCollins, $16.99). 150,000 copies.
* Warrior Super Edition: Firestar's Quest by Erin Hunter (HarperCollins, $19.99). 150,000 copies.
* Disney Bunnies: Thumper Finds a Friend by Laura Driscoll (Disney Press, $9.99). 100,000 copies.
* Disney Fairies: Fairy Lanterns by Tennant Redbank (Disney Press, $17.99). 100,000 copies.
Ike: An American Hero by Michael Korda (HarperCollins, $34.96). 100,000 copies.
* Nightmare Academy, Book One: Into the Nether by Dean Lorey (HarperCollins, $16.99). 100,000 copies.
The Sanctuary by Raymond Khoury (Dutton, $25.95).
| AUGUST 28 |
* Mythologyby Lady Hestia Evans, ed. by Dugald A. Steer (Candlewick, $19.99). 400,000 copies.
* Magic Tree House #38: Monday with a Mad Genius by Mary Pope Osborne, illus. by Sal Murdocca (Random, $11.99). 350,000 copies.
Bones to Ashes by Kathy Reichs (Scribner, $25.95). 350,000 copies.
The Wheel of Darkness by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child (Warner, $26). 350,000 copies.
Dark Possession by Christine Feehan (Berkley, $24.95). 250,000 copies.
* Soupy Saturdays with the Pain and the Great One by Judy Blume, illus. by James Stevenson (Delacorte, $12.99). 250,000 copies.
Katie: The Real Story by Edward Klein (Crown, $25.95). 200,000 copies.
Lord John and the Brotherhood of the Blade by Diana Gabaldon (Delacorte, $25). 150,000 copies.
Songs Without Words by Ann Packer (Knopf, $24.95). 150,000 copies.
Super Crunchers by Ian Ayres (Bantam, $25). 60,000 copies.
The Elves of Cintra by Terry Brooks (Del Rey, $26.95).
* = PW starred review
* = Children's titles
—With reporting by Raya Kuzyk and Diane Roback