Sales of adult books dropped 4% in April 2017 compared to April 2016 and declined 4.6% in the children’s/young adult category, according to AAP’s StatShot report. The decline in adult book sales was almost entirely due to a 56.5% plunge in sales in the mass market paperback category. Hardcover sales were solid in April, up 7.8%, and downloaded audio sales increased 28.6%. Even with the April decline, sales of adult trade titles were up 1.3% in the first four months of this year over the comparable period in 2016, led by a 24.5% jump in downloaded audio sales. The drop in children’s/YA April sales was due to a 21.6% decline in e-book sales. Sales of all three print formats were up in the month. For the first four months of 2017, sales in the segment were down 3.6% compared to the January–April period in 2016. Despite the decline in the trade areas, overall book sales were up 0.6% in April, and sales for the first four months of 2017 were up 4.2% over the same period last year. Sales for StatShot are based on figures from 1,205 publishers that are provided to the AAP.

Category Change April YTD
Adult Hard 7.8% 14.1%
Adult Paper -6.0% -2.5%
Mass Market -56.5% -23.7%
Physical Audio 32.2% 9.5%
Audio Download 28.6% 24.5%
Adult E-book -6.0% -4.3%
Children’s/YA -4.6% -3.6%
Religious Presses 11.4% 4.5%
Professional 3.3% 4.2%
K–12 Materials -2.3% -1.3%
Higher Ed. 72.2% 28.5%
University Presses 6.8% -0.7%