In response to the news that Baker & Taylor is closing its retail wholesale business, Penguin Random House is launching the Penguin Random House "Indies Express Program." The program is designed to transition bookstores who previously purchased PRH titles through B&T to ordering directly from the company.
The email PRH sent to Baker & Taylor customers reads as follows:
If you do not currently have a Penguin Random House account, or if your Penguin Random House account has been inactive for more than a year, you are eligible for our Indies Express program, which includes:
- A streamlined new-account application (now available online) – no opening order necessary
- A streamlined credit-approval process (for Baker & Taylor customers in good standing)
- Special offer on your first order (includes a lower unit-minimum)
- Dedicated PRH sales director with expertise in helping B&T customers transition to ordering directly from Penguin Random House
- Dedicated PRH sales reps (community bookstore specialists) to help you navigate seasonal frontlist ordering and backlist replenishment
- Special offer from Above the Treeline to help with inventory management
Many of us are former independent booksellers, so we know firsthand how busy you are, and how important it is for you to be able to focus on running your business and serving your customers. We hope you will contact us soon, and we look forward to working with you more closely in the future.
For more information, e-mail IndiesExpress@penguinrandomhouse.com
The program is active as of May 8 and will be available through October 1.