Here are the ten most popular stories about graphic novels and comics published on publishersweekly.com in 2015.
10. Manga Publishing Update, Spring 2015
North American manga publishers continue to recover from the double whammy of recession and a market correction in the late 2000s.
9. Citing Book Trade Growth, Dark Horse Promotes Nine In Editorial
With sales up 30% over the last three years, the indie comics publisher has announced a slate of promotions intended to prepare the house for further expansion.
8. Image Comics Is Now the #2 Graphic Novel Publisher
Image Comics announced sales gains and 19 new titles at their fourth Image Expo.
7. 13 Great LGBTQ Comics
Here are 13 comics about the LGBTQ experience, from classics to contemporary works that showcase gay and transgender lifestyles.
6. Growth, Diversity, Uncertainty Mark New Era at Comic-Con 2015
San Diego Comic-Con International is bigger, more crowded, and more diverse than ever before. So why are so many comics professionals worried about Comic-con?
5. At Diamond Summit, Cracks in Comics Market Come to Fore
Diamond Comics Distributors reported that industry sales are up overall. However, comics publishers are tinkering with their publishing programs to compensate for slowing growth.
4. Amazon Tightens Its Grip on Digital Comics Distribution
The digital comics market crossed the $100 million sales threshold in 2014, and purchases from Amazon, following its acquisition of Comixology last year, could account for as much as 90% of it.
3. ‘Valkyrie Bump’ Shifts Comics Sales
Bestselling comics series like Sex Criminals, Batgirl, and Lumberjanes have something in common—enthusiastic support from the Valkyries, an international networking group exclusively organized for women who work in comic shops.
2. Four Risk Factors Facing the Comics Industry in 2015
While comics and graphic novel sales remain strong, several risk factors could threaten how the direct market works, and the industry is still learning to cope with them.
1. Process Mania: The Making of Jonathan Case's 'The New Deal'
Artist Jonathan Case shares an exclusive look at the art process for The New Deal, his historical graphic novel due this fall from Dark Horse.