Ina Garten's ninth cookbook, Make it Ahead, was the top-selling print cookbook of last year, according to Nielsen BookScan, moving more than 500,000 copies, according to Nielsen BookScan, which tracks roughly 80% of print sales. In fact, Garten outsold the #2 title, fellow Food Network star Ree Drummond's The Pioneer Woman Cooks: A Year of Holidays by more than 360,000 copies. Make it Ahead, which also landed at #5 on the overall adult nonfiction bestseller list for the year, sold more than 130,000 copies in its first week alone when it went on sale in October (check out our Q&A with Garten here).
However, Drummond wins the prize for most titles in the top 10. In addition to snagging the #2 spot, she also took the #4 spot with The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Food From My Frontier, and the #7 spot with The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Recipes from an Accidental Country Girl.
Two web-to-cookbook debuts landed on the list. Gina Homolka's The Skinnytaste Cookbook, based on her blog of the same name, hit #5, selling more than 140,000 copies since it went on sale at the end of September. Thug Kitchen, by the once-anonymous authors of the eponymous blog, sat at #3, selling just shy of 150,000 copies. PW chatted with the authors before they revealed their identities, and then the publisher of Rodale, after the reveal caused some controversy.
The Top 10 Bestselling Cookbooks of 2014
1. Make It Ahead, Ina Garten (Clarkson Potter) 512,872
2. The Pioneer Woman Cooks: A Year of Holidays, Ree Drummond (William Morrow) 152,439
3. Thug Kitchen (Rodale) 149,376
4. The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Food From My Frontier, Ree Drummond (William Morrow) 148,243
5. The Skinnytaste Cookbook, Gina Homolka (Clarkson Potter) 143,216
6. Practical Paleo: A Customized Approach to Health and a Whole-Foods Lifestyle, by Diane Sanfilippo (Victory Belt) 137,566
7. The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Recipes from an Accidental Country Girl, by Ree Drummond (William Morrow), 111,138
8. Against All Grain: Delectable Paleo Recipes to Eat Well & Feel Great, by Danielle Walker (Victory Belt), 111,061
9. The How Can It Be Gluten Free Cookbook, America’s Test Kitchen (Cook’s Illustrated), 92,194
10. Miss Kay's Duck Commander Kitchen, Kay Robertson (Howard Books) 85,397